Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

I would go to the coop after supper and make sure all the chicks made it in. I found the broodies were always quicker to bed, and I did loose one chick that was left behind by not going out until closer to dark
sad.png

Oh, and Miss L--I'm letting my ducks accumulate quite a clutch, but no one is claiming it...it really looks more like the plan is to bury the eggs in a ton of bedding and crap, then let the decomposition prossess warm them up, al la reptiles--I mean some of the eggs are two lareys deep with a full covering of hay
hmm.png
I noticed that's how Mrs. Mallards nest was last fall when I tried to move her.

My muscovy sat on her nest of 9 last night, but this morning was ready to come out and start the day, I just checked and my Orp. is sitting on them right now, most likely laying her egg in the pile. I think they'll get down to business soon Niss, last year on the duck thread someone actually had duck eggs hatch that had been buried in a pile of hay, can't remember the details though maybe 2010 when it happened. Memory isn't as good as it use to be..
old.gif

Everyone was alive and accounted for this morning. I noticed that Smokey kept the babies inside until everyone else had gone out. I usually check at night to make sure everyone gets where they belong.

So I cleaned the coop without interference. When I finished, I looked over towards the run I could see Smokey at the back with her babies. Suddenly I noticed a dark brown one hurrying along the bottom ledge of the run. I was worried it was in trouble. I guess I wasn't too swift this morning, because I don't have any dark brown babies, and then it occurred to me that it was moving oddly. That's when I noticed the long skinny tail! It was a field mouse! Apparently it came up inside the secure run from underneath the little broody coop. It got away this time by scurrying back into its hole. Everyone was out in the yard and missed it, or I think they would have been fighting over that meal.

Everyone was alive and accounted for this morning. I noticed that Smokey kept the babies inside until everyone else had gone out. I usually check at night to make sure everyone gets where they belong.
So I cleaned the coop without interference. When I finished, I looked over towards the run I could see Smokey at the back with her babies. Suddenly I noticed a dark brown one hurrying along the bottom ledge of the run. I was worried it was in trouble. I guess I wasn't too swift this morning, because I don't have any dark brown babies, and then it occurred to me that it was moving oddly. That's when I noticed the long skinny tail! It was a field mouse! Apparently it came up inside the secure run from underneath the little broody coop. It got away this time by scurrying back into its hole. Everyone was out in the yard and missed it, or I think they would have been fighting over that meal.

yep I think you have nothing to worry about in that department.

Quote:

Broodies are stealth like. They eat, drink, and poop big stinky poos pretty much the whole time. However every time you check them you will swear they haven't moved. Lol I worried about Smokey eating & drinking so I put her off her eggs and by the waterer every day until I finally realized she was taking care of herself- I just didn't see it. Yes, they may poop in their nest. It's gross, but not a big problem. When Smokey finally got off her nest there was poop fused into the back side of it. You can candle, but you don't have to. I did because it was past her hatch date and nothing had hatched. It won't hurt anything provided you are gentle. When is your clutch due?

I don't know why some broodys will poop in their nests and others don't, my broody will hold it 3 days before I get her out, I'd be about to blow up, so you will need to try to get it cleaned up the best you can, I like shaving better than straw anyway.
I think they are just so zoned out they aren't too aware of whats going on around them. their eggs have survived thousands of year with poop on them so they will be fine, but your hand may not be.
sickbyc.gif
lau.gif

Oh man was it gross! I am so used to being pooped on (even in my hair, I have a serama that likes to sit up there for some reason) but wow this was just like a full handful... wow. I went out to the main basement and asked my husband for paper towels... 5 paper towels later he finally asked me what was going on. He hates having hens in the house so I was like "nothing"......... he figured it out, but since the loss of Clara he has kept his dislike of hens in the house to a minimum. He even went in and check on her to see what she was doing so that was super cute. He was worried that she was dead since she wasnt moving but I explained that thats just how they are.

Smokey was sitting inside a circle of straw on top of pine shavings. I cleaned up anything that she dropped and some of the poop she put on the top of the nest, but I couldn't clean the massive amounts of poop from the bottom of Smokey's nest - they somehow managed to be fused into the sides of the straw- she started just going where she was towards the end of the hatch.

She did a good job of keeping it off the eggs, but some of it got around. I wouldn't worry too much about it - if you can clean it off - then fine, but if it's too hard to reach or she objects to your cleaning around her - then leave it alone. It stinks, but you can get past that once you see the babies :)

Luckily she doesnt mind me in her area to much. If I get where she doesnt like me she taps on my hand with her beak instead of attacking me like she used to. I think the secluded environment and me going in everyday and sitting and petting her have really helped with her attitude towards me. When I picked her up she was a bit irritated but then she just sat on my lap and I put her right back on after I got what I could. I think I am going to get rid of the straw today and then just put alot of pine shavings in. I need to candle today anyway. I love that she has gone broody! Before this I could hardly get near her because she was such a spaz and would run all over the place. Now I can pet her and sit with her and she just makes her mama sounds. I got to see her move her eggs around too! It was super neat!!!

I bought 10 banty cochins this year and 20 buff orphingtons. I'm hoping that I finally get some broodies for a self sustaining flock (maybe?). I know banties are too tiny to eat but I'm hoping between the 10 SR of them I should get some decent broodies to hatch my buff eggs. The Banties will be kept seperate from the buffs.

I bought 10 banty cochins this year and 20 buff orphingtons. I'm hoping that I finally get some broodies for a self sustaining flock (maybe?). I know banties are too tiny to eat but I'm hoping between the 10 SR of them I should get some decent broodies to hatch my buff eggs. The Banties will be kept seperate from the buffs.

I would love to have a self sustaining flock!

Reminds me of the Nat Geo show Doomsday Preppers!!!

I love watching that show to see the chickens :)

I would love to have a self sustaining flock!

Reminds me of the Nat Geo show Doomsday Preppers!!!

I love watching that show to see the chickens :)

I haven't seen that show, sounds interesting. I love my bantams eggs though I steam my chicken and duck eggs instead of boiling them, the bantam eggs make just the right size snack. and bantams are wonderful broodys and mamas!

Last edited:
I haven't seen that show, sounds interesting. I love my bantams eggs though I steam my chicken and duck eggs instead of boiling them, the bantam eggs make just the right size snack. and bantams are wonderful broodys and mamas!

Its alot of nut jobs, but there are some neat things that you can learn. A lot of them have little backyard farms and gardens and what not.

Back
Top Bottom