Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

Thank you, Miss Lydia
smile.png

I'm not going to touch her (or any eggs) until I know she is seriously in this for the long haul! Fortunately, the fertile eggs are blue (from EEs) so I shouldn't have any problem knowing which ones are developing. The other 2 eggs are her pinkish egg and Rhody's brown egg. I might even leave the dud eggs under her for a week and then replace them with newly laid/warm eggs so she doesn't "miss" any of them. (I would hate for them to spoil and explode)

fl.gif
Well, it's been 6 hours and she hasn't moved off her nest box!
barnie.gif
And, I thought incubating was stressful. By tonight I'll know if I can place a little more faith in her

After she has been sitting for a week you can remove the unfertile eggs she won't know the difference as long as she still has eggs to sit on. Hope she hangs in there, it's such a rewarding experience all the way around..

Oh dear :( Buffy must not have been on her eggs for about an hour because they were cool to the touch. Plus, she laid another egg, making the total 8 that she had been sitting on. She wanted out of the chicken yard to be with the other chickens. I think she sat on the eggs about 6 hours...and she will not get back in the nest box. I tried about 5 times and she jumps out and runs to the gate each time.

Should I leave the eggs in the nest box and WAIT for her to get broody or just put them in an incubator or are they ruined because they got cold and just throw them out?
he.gif

I can see two babies!!!!!

I went and cleaned out her nest today since it was just a bit messy from her grossness yesterday. She flipped out of course, but then when I put her back on her eggs she did the cute moving them around thing.

I will need to candle later next week to see how many are good and going, but 2 is good enough for me!!

I think one is a silkie and a red star chick.

Oh dear :( Buffy must not have been on her eggs for about an hour because they were cool to the touch. Plus, she laid another egg, making the total 8 that she had been sitting on. She wanted out of the chicken yard to be with the other chickens. I think she sat on the eggs about 6 hours...and she will not get back in the nest box. I tried about 5 times and she jumps out and runs to the gate each time.

Should I leave the eggs in the nest box and WAIT for her to get broody or just put them in an incubator or are they ruined because they got cold and just throw them out?
he.gif

if she indeed laid the egg, she isn't ready to sit. Most likely another hen laid the egg. broody's don't lay eggs while broody. How long total was she on them?

Yeah! That's great news!

I can see two babies!!!!!

I went and cleaned out her nest today since it was just a bit messy from her grossness yesterday. She flipped out of course, but then when I put her back on her eggs she did the cute moving them around thing.

I will need to candle later next week to see how many are good and going, but 2 is good enough for me!!

I think one is a silkie and a red star chick.

if she indeed laid the egg, she isn't ready to sit. Most likely another hen laid the egg. broody's don't lay eggs while broody. How long total was she on them?
I was hoping she was broody, but I don't think she's ready. It was her egg since the other hens were out in the tractor. I've got the bator warming up because my son was upset with me for wasting $5. I told him he should be mad at Buffy, not me!

She was only sitting on them for 5 or 6 hours. Do you think the fertile eggs will develop normally once I put them in the incubator?

I was hoping she was broody, but I don't think she's ready. It was her egg since the other hens were out in the tractor. I've got the bator warming up because my son was upset with me for wasting $5. I told him he should be mad at Buffy, not me!

She was only sitting on them for 5 or 6 hours. Do you think the fertile eggs will develop normally once I put them in the incubator?

I'm positive they will be fine. 5 or 6 hours of sitting isn't any different than my girls laying on the same nest all day long. There is one favorite nest which will have 5 to 7 girls lay in. Takees hours sometimes. And those always have hatched fine for me. I would put them in the incubator.

Here is a video of my silkie moving her eggs around.

Its a bit dark though

If she had a bell I am sure she would start ringing it for me. I am practically waiting on her hand and foot. She was reaching for her food, but didnt want to get off her nest so I moved the food closer to her for a bit. Then of course she wanted water and after making her little struggling sound I caved in and got that for her too. I THEN gave her bits of apples. Luckily she ate those right out of my hand. I have been giving her a few small bits of food in my hand and she eats it right up. I dont want her to be threatened by me when I need to come in and see how she and her babies are doing. I think her being in the house has greatly improved the situation. She was the most picked on in the coop because whenever a hen would come after her she would run around like a spaz. Now she is clam and doing her mama duty. I would really like to bring in her little friend that was her broody buddy, but she has the sniffles and I dont want that anywhere near the new babies. Her buddy seems bummed that she isnt in the coop anymore.

I dont think I cant wait another 19 days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! gah this is gonna kill me
barnie.gif

I am so glad you started this as I am hoping a couple hens will go broody this spring, and have learned a great deal by reading the posts. Thank You
In my research for incubators and broody hens I thought it might be nice to have a centralized thread for people who are interested in hatching eggs using the broody hen method. This thread is not meant to put down incubators, as they are a very useful tool, but to share knowledge and experience with each other on how to hatch eggs using a broody hen.

I will attempt to edit this post to include tips and FAQs on some of the best methods and tips to use when hatching eggs using a broody hen. If you have any knowledge please share it. If you know of anything that would be useful to add to the FAQs or tips please PM me.

We can also use this thread to share pics and hatching details with each other.

I am not sure how many people are interested in doing this but I thought it would be neat to see how many people use this method.

Back
Top Bottom