Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

Went out this morning and i can hear at least 2 peeps.... now to wait until she gets up and lets me have a peek.... I take my camera every time I go out... Just in case.. I will post as soon as I see them little chicks...

Yay!! Cant wait! Only a week until day 20 and only 8 more days until day 21! I cant wait! Post some pics as soon as you can.

Went out this morning and i can hear at least 2 peeps.... now to wait until she gets up and lets me have a peek.... I take my camera every time I go out... Just in case.. I will post as soon as I see them little chicks...

celebrate.gif
pop.gif

Well, on day five, Ipicked up the butt of my buff and found a big poo, so I moved her enough to remove the poo, cause some of it was on an egg, ever since then, she's been off/on the nest. yesterday she was roosting on the stoop of another nest box and when I tried to put her with the eggs, she threw a fit. I have her penned off from the rest of the coop. Is she done? I'm so upset.
hit.gif
Yesterday I cracked one egg open, and it had veins and an eye and everything, so they were developing. I haven't gone out yet this morning, but if she still isn't on the nest should I give it up and release her back to the flock, or give it another day? How long can they be cold?

I hope you have another broody you can give your eggs to. Chickens can be so trying at times!

I wish I'd seen this thread before we let our hens set eggs! (Total newbie) We've done everything backwards from the look of it...lol. We have about 60 australorps with a few red stars mixed in. We put some brooding boxes in the coop and tired putting some broody hens in with their eggs. No go. They went back to where they had made their own nests. As of today we have, I kid you not...15 hens sitting on eggs...way too many eggs. We've been clearing out the ones that get pushed out and grow cold. We've candled lots (as we sell eggs and don't want any surprises) and they are all at various stages. EEEK. My hubby said on the farm, whoever hatched first got taken out with the chicks and the other eggs were stuffed under the next hen in line. This might work for 2-3 hens and a few eggs but I'm not sure how we are going to work SO many!! Some should be hatching tomorrow so we'll see what happens. Note to self...research FIRST!
he.gif

I wish I'd seen this thread before we let our hens set eggs! (Total newbie) We've done everything backwards from the look of it...lol. We have about 60 australorps with a few red stars mixed in. We put some brooding boxes in the coop and tired putting some broody hens in with their eggs. No go. They went back to where they had made their own nests. As of today we have, I kid you not...15 hens sitting on eggs...way too many eggs. We've been clearing out the ones that get pushed out and grow cold. We've candled lots (as we sell eggs and don't want any surprises) and they are all at various stages. EEEK. My hubby said on the farm, whoever hatched first got taken out with the chicks and the other eggs were stuffed under the next hen in line. This might work for 2-3 hens and a few eggs but I'm not sure how we are going to work SO many!! Some should be hatching tomorrow so we'll see what happens. Note to self...research FIRST!
he.gif

You must be left handed, i am and my Mother was, she said we always did everything backwards. so even if your not left handed join the club most of us don't research first we just let nature take it's course. Of course Nature has really blessed your farm with 15 hens setting at once, please keep us updated on all the happenings and of course we'll be expecting pictures..
pop.gif

HAHAHA How'd you know???

I'm taking a photography course right now so you can bet there will be pics!!

You must be left handed, i am and my Mother was, she said we always did everything backwards. so even if your not left handed join the club most of us don't research first we just let nature take it's course. Of course Nature has really blessed your farm with 15 hens setting at once, please keep us updated on all the happenings and of course we'll be expecting pictures..
pop.gif

Back
Top Bottom