Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

5 chicks hatched today in coop house...mama took them out of the bucket they were in and have camped in the cornor of the coop...Big girls don't bother them.. there were 2 dead chicks and 4 eggs in nest..(removed and cleaned nest) anxious to see if she brings them back in nest...they will have to go down a ramp to go outside, that should be interesting...want her to teach them naturally (wouldn't like to move them) taking a chance, I need to learn also what to do for the future...so much fun, am so happy for you morganwood, but for me slow is best Ha...that many at one time WOW!

My silkie Gypsy has hatched an OEGB today. She has two eggs of her own that have pipped. I'm guessing they should be out tomorrow sometime. I gotta say, I like broodies MUCH better than incubators. I got a hovabator and I'm no good at using it :/ I don't think the chicken eggs will hatch and I'm scared for the duck eggs. Do ya think if I slip some duck eggs under some of my other broodies they'll hatch em' out okay? The last of my silkies is going broody and I could possibly fit two duck eggs under her. The ducks are on day 21 right now. I'm really hoping that I can get them hatching in the incubator but the this whole time the temp has been 98 F!!! Today I got it up to 99..
hmm.png
Not sure what to do!
I really need more silkies, that's for sure. I have 3 hens and they've all gone broody on me. I love it! But I need more! More hatchers!

Well, I didn't separate my pullet from the rooster and she went broody. I just don't know if you can make a chicken become broody if they aren't ready. Maybe someone else will offer you a tip.

I have read where others have broken their broodies by putting them in rooster pens - something about the roosters mating them causes them to become unbroody. But I don't know about the reverse.

Quote:
For a hen to go broody do i need to seperate her from rooster, my silkies, are in the same pen.

Yeah! Chicks! I know what you mean about the hovabator - it's frustrating to wait 21 days and find no one hatching - even when you hear them chirping inside and then no pips. :(

I read where someone else hatched duck eggs with their broody hen - I know it takes longer for them to hatch then chicks. Hopefully Miss Lydia can help - she has ducks.

My silkie Gypsy has hatched an OEGB today. She has two eggs of her own that have pipped. I'm guessing they should be out tomorrow sometime. I gotta say, I like broodies MUCH better than incubators. I got a hovabator and I'm no good at using it :/ I don't think the chicken eggs will hatch and I'm scared for the duck eggs. Do ya think if I slip some duck eggs under some of my other broodies they'll hatch em' out okay? The last of my silkies is going broody and I could possibly fit two duck eggs under her. The ducks are on day 21 right now. I'm really hoping that I can get them hatching in the incubator but the this whole time the temp has been 98 F!!! Today I got it up to 99..
hmm.png
Not sure what to do!
I really need more silkies, that's for sure. I have 3 hens and they've all gone broody on me. I love it! But I need more! More hatchers!

Yeah! Post pics when you can! I find Smokey likes to hang in the corner and the chicks will pop in and out from under her wings. Yesterday a few of them were standing on top of her back. It's so cute to watch.

5 chicks hatched today in coop house...mama took them out of the bucket they were in and have camped in the cornor of the coop...Big girls don't bother them.. there were 2 dead chicks and 4 eggs in nest..(removed and cleaned nest) anxious to see if she brings them back in nest...they will have to go down a ramp to go outside, that should be interesting...want her to teach them naturally (wouldn't like to move them) taking a chance, I need to learn also what to do for the future...so much fun, am so happy for you morganwood, but for me slow is best Ha...that many at one time WOW!

Congrats on the hatch. And sorry about the 2 that didn't make it.. Mama Chicken s are so amazing, enjoy!!

hmm.png
Not sure what to do!

Many a chicken has hatched out ducks, so give it a try. They just get upset when their little charges want to go swimming. Congrats on the new chicks, don't forget pics!!

Back
Top Bottom