Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

Those were GoChicks eggs. Me, I'm not sure if I am really missing any or if they just arent' laying right now - some have signs of fowl pox. I don't have the fertile eggs yet. Soon, very soon.

Quote:
hit.gif
Me too GoChick! I am so sorry for your loss! I have no idea what could have gotten them and I hope you can find an answer. I know my BO ate one of her eggs on Monday and am nervous since I am on a business trip with my hubby and a friend is looking after my babies! I did find half a shell in the cage with her so I know she did it. With everything I have heard, it is best to introduce new chicks at night. Will be praying for your little Australorp!!

Thank you mskittydjs... I hope to get my poor little Turf the Australorp some chicks on Friday night... But I can't get over what happened! My husband thinks it may have been our collie girl, she is a rescued dog, a real survivor. But how could she have eaten all 11 without leaving any traces is puzzling... I'll post back on Saturday to let you know if my little broody accepted the new chicks... Can't stop thinking of the poor little chicks, just 5 days from hatching...

Went out to check this morning and had one barnyard-mix, a black chick, hatched under my white Silkie. This afternoon I checked and had 2 more chicks - look to be partridge Silkies - hatched and, when I got home from a meeting tonight, had another Silkie hatched. Only 3 more eggs to go - 2 barnyard-mix and 1 more Silkie. She's being a GREAT mom and has a temper tantrum any time I take her off the nest for a minute to check on things
gig.gif
I'll get pics as soon as I can, but it may be another day or two.
smile.png

OH MY GOSH! She did it! I can't believe I have two new little babies. Broody will be a year old in June, and these are her first babies. They are also my first ever hatch, of any kind. She had four eggs under her so I am not sure if they all hatched. I didn't want to disturb them too much tonight so I didn't check. Guess Bart, the rooster, has been doing is job.
big_smile.png

So far we have this Rhode Island Red x Easter Egger
62892_dsc_0472.jpg

And this Barred Rock x Easter Egger. If you look close you can see him under Broody.
62892_dsc_0474.jpg

One of the two eggs left to hatch is a true Easter Egger, and I am not sure what the other one will be. Hope they all hatch
fl.gif

This is so eggciting.
jumpy.gif

Quote:
GoChick...if you or your husband are thinking it might be the Collie, then watch her poo over the next day or two...dogs cannot digest the shells and you will have tell tale signs. Also watch her poo for blood...she could have a problem if she did eat all those shells. One of my shepherds ate every bit of our full slab of fajita meat (over 2 pounds worth) and never would I have thought it was her. A dog could do it and not leave a trace behind
. I'll be watching for your post and will be praying for the momma and her new chicks!!

Quote:
Congratulations Azhenhouse!!!! So happy for you! Love the photos! I hope my hatch around the 4th of May produces such cute little fuzzy butts like yours!

I have a Dark Cornish on the nest and she has been setting for three days. I have no idea what she has under her but plan to move her in the next week or so to the corner I have set up for this. I had no idea that a Dk Cornish would even go broody!

Back
Top Bottom