Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

A PIP A PIP A PIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I TAPPED AND IT CHIRPED BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG I AM SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!

wee.gif

*jumps up and down*

Go, chickies, go!
celebrate.gif

A PIP A PIP A PIP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OMG I AM SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!

wee.gif

Yeah! So happy for you!
wee.gif
pics when you get a chance please. The video didn't work for me - I am not subscribed to ustream.

wee.gif

Thanks Miss Lydia and Bobbieschicks for your encouragement! I'm such a worrier when it comes to things like this. Unfortunately this morning when I went out to the coop to check on girls there was what looked to be an exploded egg. At least, it was partly exploded I guess. There was a dead but fully formed baby chick stuck to part of the eggshell with bits of blood splattered everywhere. The Mama was out of the nestbox and I think she must have only just recently rolled the egg out away from the nest before whatever happened, happened. I feel so bad for her. I'm guessing it was my fault for messing with her eggs the day before.
th.gif
hit.gif

If I could only be more PATIENT!!!

I think I may have miscalculated day 1. I added 6 eggs to the broody about 4 days after she'd been sitting. She had only laid 2 eggs of her own and didn't seem to be of a mind to lay any more than that. I had calculated day 1 as being the 1st day I'd seen her sitting on the very first egg she laid. So - I've now recalculated day 1 to start the morning (4 days later) that I added the 6 eggs. Hopefully that's right now. So instead of being on day 22 day, she's actually only on day 18.

I know, I know - SIT ON MY HANDS AND WAIT!!

Not sure, but I just might have seen a pipped egg tonight. She's not at all co-operating in letting me look now. (Can't blame her). But I only wanted to look - no touching, promise.

So sorry about the chick, and hope the rest of your hatch goes good, keep us updated...
fl.gif

wee.gif
So happy for you!!! go Elvira and chickies!!!

This is kinda like when my daughter gave birth her friend videoed it, lol we all just kept standing around staring at her..
Elviar is so cool calm and collected, I bet we can't say the same for the human taking the pic. lol can you hear the chick peeping?

Last edited:
This is kinda like when my daughter gave birth her friend videoed it, lol we all just kept standing around staring at her..

lol yeah, it is a bit boring at the moment, but it is neat to see what she does when I am not around. I just took our sour crop speckled sussex outside. She was being disruptive and BAD. Her crop has gone down a bit, but she has really only been on a yogurt diet and water for two days. Hopefully it stays somewhat down... otherwise I am just at my wits end.

lol yeah, it is a bit boring at the moment, but it is neat to see what she does when I am not around. I just took our sour crop speckled sussex outside. She was being disruptive and BAD. Her crop has gone down a bit, but she has really only been on a yogurt diet and water for two days. Hopefully it stays somewhat down... otherwise I am just at my wits end.
I have read this maybe you can find some answers here...

http://fowlfacts.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=afflictiondiseaseff&action=display&thread=1188

Back
Top Bottom