Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

Should their air cells be as big as they are?
barnie.gif
why dont I have a little MRI machine so that I can see what is going on in there!!!!!! She has been getting off her nest a whole lot more than she has been. I was unsure if this was because the eggs were mostly done, or is she just getting antsy?

Should their air cells be as big as they are?
barnie.gif
why dont I have a little MRI machine so that I can see what is going on in there!!!!!! She has been getting off her nest a whole lot more than she has been. I was unsure if this was because the eggs were mostly done, or is she just getting antsy?

I found this on air cells looks like they should be pretty good size by now. http://www.bevsmarans.com/hatching_eggs.htm remeber what stony said? it may not happen today it can be from day 19 thru day 24 or 25... and she maybe be getting tired of SOMEONE staring at her and asking her how come those chicks haven't hatched yet..
wink.png
Just trying to get you to feel better.
hugs.gif
and relax a little.

Last edited:
I found this on air cells looks like they should be pretty good size by now. http://www.bevsmarans.com/hatching_eggs.htm remeber what stony said? it may not happen today it can be from day 19 thru day 24 or 25... and she maybe be getting tired of SOMEONE staring at her and asking her how come those chicks haven't hatched yet..
wink.png
Just trying to get you to feel better.
hugs.gif
and relax a little.

Lol I dont have my own kids yet, so this is my first go at "the miracle of birth" so I am a bit over excited. My husband is ready for them too as we have a sick hen in our bathtub and one with a sour crop in our dog crate. She is in the kiddie pool. He teases me that I look like a nurse going to do my rounds. Our hens and rooster in the coop are going to be like "WHAT IS GOING ON" next week when hopefully the sick girl and the sour crop girl go back out AND their will hopefully be some babies running around too...

Lol I dont have my own kids yet, so this is my first go at "the miracle of birth" so I am a bit over excited. My husband is ready for them too as we have a sick hen in our bathtub and one with a sour crop in our dog crate. She is in the kiddie pool. He teases me that I look like a nurse going to do my rounds. Our hens and rooster in the coop are going to be like "WHAT IS GOING ON" next week when hopefully the sick girl and the sour crop girl go back out AND their will hopefully be some babies running around too...

fl.gif
by in the morning..
thumbsup.gif

and do you put ACV in your birds water? it can really help sour crop.

Last edited:
fl.gif
by in the morning..
thumbsup.gif

and do you put ACV in your birds water? it can really help sour crop.

I just put some in her water this morning with a drop of nutri drench. I havent checked on her for the past 2 hours. I need to go get better stuff I think as this is just the regular heinze stuff.

I have given her monistat before and that worked, but this time around it didnt so I switched anti fungals... no response yet, so if there is no improvement tomorrow I may have to switch to something else.

Time to check on my patients!

This is my first time trying to do a video but here goes, this is my white silkie Phoebe. I am giving her some eggs after finding her on a nest of 12 eggs that were all unfertile. I gave her 7 eggs total. 5 are from my father in law and they could be pure bantam blue cochin or 1/2 bantam cochin and 1/2 mixed laying hen. The other 2 eggs are 1/2 RIR or Black Australorp and Guinea. I hope those hatch. I want to see what they look like. :D I hope this video works.
Cool! I love watching them scoop the eggs under themselves.

Another silly question: So do they hatch under her or does she move them? It seems hard to hatch out of an egg with your mom sitting on you! hmm... Maybe I should have made a glass bottom brooder so I could see whats going on underneath her .
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom