Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

I am not sure. about the feather arrangement. Check out YouTube and key in the words sexing baby chickens.

Here are you tube videos.

dirty jobs video:

OK the feathers on a pullet have two rows one set are longer than the other. So they will be long short long short long short..... the males they will be all short.
deb

Ah, thanks! LOL at Mike Rowe. And wow at McMurray... So THAT'S what the breeder was trying to explain about the feathers. Well, either way, it's going to stay a part of the flock. I normally work late and sleep in, but I think I'll be running out to see the fuzzy early.

We have about 65 layers right now, White Leghorns and Red Loman(or whatever they call them). Believe it or not the Leghorns are the most likely to go broody.
it seems there is always at least one and right now there is 3. it's too early to let them set now, we've still got 3 ft. of snow and below freezing temperatures.

Last edited:
We have about 65 layers now, White Leghorns and Red Loman(or whatever they call them). Believe it or not the Leghorns are the most likely to go broody.
it seems there is always at least one and right now there is 3. it's too early to let them set now, we've still got 3 ft. of snow and below freezing temperatures.

Last edited:
Im keeping all my roos.... eventually in a bachelor pen Right now I have four adult roos and one hen in a pen All are under 5 months. The hen is an Auracana but she isnt ready to lay yet.... getting close. Once I see an egg from her she and her Auracana roo will go into a partition of her own. And five Welsummer roos not yet crowing in with 14 welsummer pullets under two months. I love the doodle doos even the late night ones. Hopefully by next year I too will be doing broodie announcements..... hee hee.

deb

Last edited:
We have about 65 layers now, White Leghorns and Red Loman(or whatever they call them). Believe it or not the Leghorns are the most likely to go broody.

Wow Laborador....
welcome-byc.gif
from San Diego

My Buff Orp just went broody about a week ago. I let her keep 6 eggs after I noticed she started staying in her nest for longer periods of time after laying. She's stopped laying and been sitting for about a week.

I've seen action in the yard indicating that the eggs could be fertile. I don't know how many of the six are fertile. As far as I can tell she had been being mated when she laid each of them. Is it possible that none of them are fertile?

How long should I wait to remove the non-fertile eggs after any of them hatch? How long will it take for them to hatch? How long before I'll know that non of them are fertile? I don't have any candling equipment and I think it'd be just as well to leave it natural.

Btw- she's so cute all puffed up and sitting on her eggs :)

And- the roo is RIR. Any idea of what the babies might look like?
On the third day you could tell if there is development in the egg. Hold the egg with the fat side up so. Get a bright flashlight, cup the egg in one hand creating a small stream of light and shine it up into the egg, but don't touch the egg to the flashlight. The goal is to peek inside. If it is completely clear, the egg is infertile. If you see any darkness at all, there is a good chance that it will develop. If you have store bought eggs to look at first it will help you understand what clear eggs look like. And they can take between 18 and 25 days to hatch depending on temps and other factors. And I know exactly what the babies will look like, cute fuzzybutt chicks! Lol! No seriously I don't know, but my guess is they will be adorably big yellowish babies that turn into large reddish beauties. :)

Last edited:
Quote:
It takes about 21 days for the eggs to hatch, although with a broody they could hatch on day 25, I've heard of that happening on here. If 25 days go by and they haven't hatched, they probably won't. You don't even need a candler to see if there are chicks - use a strong flash light. I once did it for 4-H. After a week or so, you can use a flashlight in a dark room and you will see a difference - I just don't remember what that difference is.
The difference is that you will see something growing. If the egg is clear by 7 days of sitting or incubating, then it wasn't viable. If you see any darkness at all, there's a good chance it will hatch. You should be able to see veins and the veins should be moving. On darker eggs it may be harder to see them, but if there's any growth I say leave it to hatch.

Quote:
Ah, thanks! LOL at Mike Rowe. And wow at McMurray... So THAT'S what the breeder was trying to explain about the feathers. Well, either way, it's going to stay a part of the flock. I normally work late and sleep in, but I think I'll be running out to see the fuzzy early.
I usually just wait until 3 weeks old, by then I can generally guess the sex based on behavior and comb growth. My silkies I guessed correctly based on their topknots. The roo had extra wisps of feathers sticking off the back of his head. The pullet had a nice round doo. I've read that the feather sexing only works for certain hatchery born chicks, but it may be worth a try. Hope you have better success getting pullets the I, my last five I fear are all roosters. Only two I can't tell have pea combs. But since they have smaller pea combs I'm hoping they are pullets. Their actions say otherwise, time will tell.

We have about 65 layers right now, White Leghorns and Red Loman(or whatever they call them). Believe it or not the Leghorns are the most likely to go broody.
That's pretty cool you have WLs that go broody. My WL was tossing shavings on herself in the nestbox yesterday, a behavior she hasn't done before, and one my broody tends to do. But as soon as she laid she hopped right down as usual.

Back
Top Bottom