Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by michaelinnc84, Feb 27, 2011.

1. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    The sooner you do it the better. I would not put a lamp on the chicks and broody. She will keep them warm provided you have a big enough broody and few enough chicks. I had 1 small EE broody who hatched 3 LF chicks and she did a great job keeping those babies warm in 30F weather in an unheated not insulated coop. But I've never slipped chicks under a broody so not sure of the timing. Take away the eggs though when you slip her the chicks. And keep ready to intervene if necessary. My guess is if they are young enough and she's desperate enough to be a momma, she'll take them in like her own hatched.

2. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    I see you already did the transfer and it sounds like it was successful. That broody will keep them toasty warm and you don't have to worry about a heat lamp. We had a very cold spell right after my chicks hatched but Smokey had them tucked way up under her breast and wings. They also were out and about in 45F without any problems. When they got cold they would rush under momma and hang out. Then they would pop out their heads from under her feathers and look around.

3. vmdanielsen

vmdanielsen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    West Lebanon, NY

Just checked on them and all chicks are under momma as best as I could tell. My dh will check them in another hour. Not any activity out there. all is good. Thanks. No heat lamp.I am afraid of fire in the coop. good night..........

4. This_chicks_place

This_chicks_place Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Upstate NY

This is the most beautiful picture! With the sun shining on that little cutie, love it!

5. Atomic Ranch

Atomic Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2011
    El Cerrito, So Cal

Thanks!! And hi!! :)

6. Atomic Ranch

May 7, 2011
    El Cerrito, So Cal

Wow, they're such fast learners. Baby scratches with momma, and listens to her. Keeps pecking her in the eye though... kids! Yep, she's on the floor with baby tonight.

7. Atomic Ranch

May 7, 2011
    El Cerrito, So Cal
    Haha, thanks :) It was a particularly clear day today.

The fuzzy definitely likes the sun. New things...

8. vmdanielsen

vmdanielsen Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2010
    West Lebanon, NY

DH checked them at midnight and I started at 5 this morning. I just went out and opened the coop's window shutters as to let light in. Mama is clucking contentedly and I hear cheeping under her. I have not moved her to see but am assuming that there is good stuff going on under her.

9. Glasshen

Glasshen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2012
    La Fayette, NY
    VM, sounds like you did a great job playing stork! If everything goes well in the light of morning, all you will have to do for the next 5 or 6 weeks is keep the feed and water and maid services coming. I'm smiling just thinking about Mama and those sweet chicks.

It is so wonderful to watch them keep warm. When they are small and it is cold they travel around under Mama, like a hen with a lot of feet, and when it is hot, they are scooting around in the open. When it is just kind of brisk, they duck under and then come out. Mama seems to know when to gather them in.

10. Glasshen

Glasshen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2012
    La Fayette, NY
    Our posts crossed, I am so happy, thanks for giving the update.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by