Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

I need opinions please. My 7 eggs hatched within the last 24 hours. The last about an hour ago. I was going to go out tonight and place them under a broody. My dh thinks that because it will be so cold tonight that we should put a heat lamp in there,which to defeats the purpose of doing it at night. SO....should I wait until tomorrow night when they are just a bit older, tomorrow in the AM so I can watch( would she react immediately? ). She is a 10 month old buckeye and this is a first for both of us. My dh is afraid that she will not cover them up and they will freeze to death.

Edited to say, the chicks were hatched in the incubator and not under her.......sorry for the confusion
The sooner you do it the better. I would not put a lamp on the chicks and broody. She will keep them warm provided you have a big enough broody and few enough chicks. I had 1 small EE broody who hatched 3 LF chicks and she did a great job keeping those babies warm in 30F weather in an unheated not insulated coop. But I've never slipped chicks under a broody so not sure of the timing. Take away the eggs though when you slip her the chicks. And keep ready to intervene if necessary. My guess is if they are young enough and she's desperate enough to be a momma, she'll take them in like her own hatched.

Quote:
OK glass, after reading your post and stuck all 7 chicks under her. One chick popped it's head out and she pushed it under herself. She also spread her wings a bit to let me stuff more under her. So I guess these are good signs. Went out and checked 3 times and everybody appears safe and sound. Thanks for the encouragement! My husband and I will staying up late and will keep checking them. I have a head lamp with a red light that is great for these things. Enough light for us to see but not so invasive for her.

When I was putting them under her, a bunch of coyotes started singing. The coop is well protected thank goodness!
I see you already did the transfer and it sounds like it was successful. That broody will keep them toasty warm and you don't have to worry about a heat lamp. We had a very cold spell right after my chicks hatched but Smokey had them tucked way up under her breast and wings. They also were out and about in 45F without any problems. When they got cold they would rush under momma and hang out. Then they would pop out their heads from under her feathers and look around.

I see you already did the transfer and it sounds like it was successful. That broody will keep them toasty warm and you don't have to worry about a heat lamp. We had a very cold spell right after my chicks hatched but Smokey had them tucked way up under her breast and wings. They also were out and about in 45F without any problems. When they got cold they would rush under momma and hang out. Then they would pop out their heads from under her feathers and look around.

The sooner you do it the better. I would not put a lamp on the chicks and broody. She will keep them warm provided you have a big enough broody and few enough chicks. I had 1 small EE broody who hatched 3 LF chicks and she did a great job keeping those babies warm in 30F weather in an unheated not insulated coop. But I've never slipped chicks under a broody so not sure of the timing. Take away the eggs though when you slip her the chicks. And keep ready to intervene if necessary. My guess is if they are young enough and she's desperate enough to be a momma, she'll take them in like her own hatched.

Just checked on them and all chicks are under momma as best as I could tell. My dh will check them in another hour. Not any activity out there. all is good. Thanks. No heat lamp.I am afraid of fire in the coop. good night..........

Update / Photo: The wee Cochin/Delaware is doing well. The fuzzy seems to be able to motor around quickly and is becoming curious about the rest of the "chickeniverse", so I'm going to open the brooder today and see how it goes. The WL egg didn't make it, but at least I've got this!

This is the most beautiful picture! With the sun shining on that little cutie, love it!

What a sweet pic.
love.gif

Thanks!! And hi!! :)

Vm, if you put them under her and she sort of settles on with them they will be nice and warm. But it would be wise to go out and check a number of times, because if the babies fall out they can get too cold and that would be sad. Take a flash light and look down and all around without shining it on the hens directly. It will be good. Get out there early in the morning to make sure they wake up good together...you will love it.

DH checked them at midnight and I started at 5 this morning. I just went out and opened the coop's window shutters as to let light in. Mama is clucking contentedly and I hear cheeping under her. I have not moved her to see but am assuming that there is good stuff going on under her.

VM, sounds like you did a great job playing stork! If everything goes well in the light of morning, all you will have to do for the next 5 or 6 weeks is keep the feed and water and maid services coming. I'm smiling just thinking about Mama and those sweet chicks.

It is so wonderful to watch them keep warm. When they are small and it is cold they travel around under Mama, like a hen with a lot of feet, and when it is hot, they are scooting around in the open. When it is just kind of brisk, they duck under and then come out. Mama seems to know when to gather them in.

Back
Top Bottom