Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by michaelinnc84, Feb 27, 2011.

1. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana

2. jgervais

jgervais Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2011
    Jackson, MI
  3. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    So sorry about the dead chicks. Maybe she felt there was something wrong with them and tried to put them out. Chickens can be harsh to one another. Hope the others are okay. Like humans, not all mommas make great mommas. Hugs.[​IMG]

4. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Contact one of the moderators. They can change it one time but only if no one else has the new name. [​IMG]

5. aaggjg

aaggjg Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2011
    So I candled the possibly/ hopefully fertile eggs my broody has been sitting in for 5 days .... and they are all clear [​IMG]

I have some fertile eggs hopefully arriving today so I will stick those under her.... Having never put shipped eggs under a broody do I have to let them settle like you do before you put them in an incubator??? She has been setting for 6 days already is it okay for her to go another 21 days??? I try to make her eat and drink when I go to feed them in the morning but I haven't forced her off the nest yet .... So I am not sure if she has been off to poop.....

My other pretend broody Nugget hasn't shown any more signs of wanting to go broody ... just the one fluke day .... I'm sure she will go broody in 3 weeks the minute all the shipped eggs hatch .... Yep that would be my luck.

6. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia "I Believe" Premium Member

I've never used shipped eggs but i believe your to let them rest on the counter for 24 hrs. maybe tilted but don't remember which way. anyway she will be fine sitting that long. I had one last year that sat 42 days because i gave her non fertile eggs the first time [​IMG] and she'll also eat and drink when your not looking [just so you can worry she isn't] [​IMG]

7. Glasshen

Glasshen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2012
    La Fayette, NY
    When to let Mom and babies mingle with flock...what has been said by others is right, let Mama decide. I was rather overprotective, and kept them separate, first in the basement, then in a dog crate that was closed. But as soon as I decided to open it, she took it from there, and probably could have much earlier. One reason I had waited so long was that it was Feb. 20 we got the chicks and they could not go out. Couldn't see them being in the coop with nothing better to do than torture the chicks.
    But as soon as the door was open, Mama hustled those girls out to start training them. And she made sure that all the others stayed away.

Food. Give them chick starter. The rest of the flock will want it too as it is higher in protein than the layer feed. Around here in Feb. All I could find was medicated, which I didn't want (IMO medicine is a cure, not a way of life), so I wound up with game bird crumbles. I thought Mama should have some layer food, but she clearly did not want it, and repeatedly warned the babies away from it, so I removed it. Mama clearly wanted to teach them to peck things from the ground, so she scattered the crumbles all over, rather than teaching them to eat from the chick feeder.

Once Mama decided her work was done, the other hens were kind of menacing to the 6week olds, so they are in a small separate coop with a temporary fence within the larger pen. They all see each other, and these girls are supposed to be BOs, so can't wait to see everyone else give them space when they are full grown and can hold their own.

When you make changes, just be sure to be there to watch incase there is a real need to intervene for someone's safety.

8. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    very informative thank you so much!!! Im off to get crumble today !! my babies should be here with in 2 to 4 days!

9. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop

Good info. FYI my LO are bigger then my WL, AC and EE who are all older, but the LO step aside for the older girls. It's attitude rather then size in my flock. ;)

10. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    I let Topsy out to TCB and she went back to the nestbox when she finished. So I moved her & the eggs into the secure area and put her on the eggs. She settled down and I was hoping she would take to staying there. Then I heard her rubbing on the hardware cloth repeatedly. So I opened the door and she darted out, ran to the coop and got back up in the nestbox. I'm not going to fight it. I'll let her stay there. When it's time I'll figure something out for her and any chicks. My guess is she will abandon the notion long before a hatch happens. Although right now she's happily sitting in the nestbox and I think she's smiling.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by