Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

So far, Mama #1 is great with her babies, as Tripp16 said, Mama is good at showing them the ropes. She takes them out, showed them how to scratch, calls them over if she finds something she wants them to see or eat. My oldest daughter & I were watching them yesterday, and Mama saw my oldest had a flour tortilla in her hand. So I told her to pinch off little pieces and toss them over to them. When she did, Mama checked it first & then called the chicks over, one would grab it & then others were in chase mode. They love to clim on top of Mama too.

2nd Mama is still on lock down, 4 chicks have hatched since Monday, still 15 eggs to go????? Both Mama's are BO's

So far, Mama #1 is great with her babies, as Tripp16 said, Mama is good at showing them the ropes. She takes them out, showed them how to scratch, calls them over if she finds something she wants them to see or eat. My oldest daughter & I were watching them yesterday, and Mama saw my oldest had a flour tortilla in her hand. So I told her to pinch off little pieces and toss them over to them. When she did, Mama checked it first & then called the chicks over, one would grab it & then others were in chase mode. They love to clim on top of Mama too.

2nd Mama is still on lock down, 4 chicks have hatched since Monday, still 15 eggs to go????? Both Mama's are BO's

Soo cute!

I love BO moms. They all just look like mothers dont they? Well not mine. She enjoys Mr Willy (Rooster) to much and her food.
roll.png
Oh well I have other hens who like being mommas.

Glad some of my advice helped and looks like they are doing great!
thumbsup.gif

i have both of my 2 silkie hens gone broody over the last two weeks one is sitting on 13 and is due next thursday and one went broody last wednesday and mine are still with the flock well not really a flock two hens and a cockerel the cockerel is alright tho he is on his own outside but he flirts with the girls next door.

Broody fever has hit my coop hard! I have 2 broody Cochins with 20 eggs between them (they've decided to nest together), 1 broody EE with 10 more eggs and a broody turkey with 7 turkey eggs and 12 more chicken eggs! Everytime I go into the coop to get our eating eggs it sounds like there's a terrible monster in there, with all of the growling and hissing that's going on!

Thanks for the feedback
I typed up the story here:
http://simplelifeainteasy.blogspot.com/2012/04/chicken-life-aint-easy.html

I didnt include any gruesome pics, there are however pics of the new babies that made it and a few pics of them while they were still in the coop with their mama.

I'm def gonna be a nervous wreck when another hen goes broody :(
I'm so sorry :( I'm glad you got the others to safety ! Wondering if she did not like the color ( that would make her pretty smart knowing they were not hers) or she knew something was not quit right?

picture I promised Miss L of one of my EE/Sumatra crosses. Definately a Roo. ATTITUDE! He should end up handsome enough to stay as breeding stock for my egg laying flock.

about 3 weeks old. A little awkward, but great coloring!

. Oh she is adorable, my buff looks like her and is sitting on five. Would have had her sit on more but this is my first time with eggs and broody, and. Not sure where to put the extra's lol. With the coop being made larger this weekend we could have more, but with a back yard coop I'm thinking 7 or 8 chickens is enough ! She looks like such a good mama, seeing her made me more excited!

I'd like some thoughts about an especially lethargic chick. I have one (hatched from her mother) that never seems to have any energy. She was hatched on the 22nd. She eats a little but just doesn't have any get up and go; always seems to be half asleep. Should I expect that she'll die?

I'd like some thoughts about an especially lethargic chick. I have one (hatched from her mother) that never seems to have any energy. She was hatched on the 22nd. She eats a little but just doesn't have any get up and go; always seems to be half asleep. Should I expect that she'll die?

I wouldn't say expect, but don't be surprised. A lot of times mama will either kill or abandon a weak chick. so if she is still with mama there is a chance.

Back
Top Bottom