Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

yuckyuck.gif

You can't try that one stony.
tongue.png

I'm going to move Topsy tonight - here's my plan - let me know what you think and if I should change any of it. I read that if I move her at night and keep her in the dark for 2 days she'll forget about her old nest. So I'm going try it.

Plan:
1. Go before dark and set up the new nest area - blue bankers crate will be covered with a dark beach towel to keep it dark - I'll put a the base to the cat carrier inside to give her a structure to lay on. And I'll put mostly pine shavings but also some straw since that's what she's been sitting on.

2. When it's completely dark outside - take low flashlight & son to coop - get her from the nestbox and cover her with towel for the move & take the two pingpong balls to new nest area and put them in the nest with her on top. Keep her in the dark until Sunday night then remove the towel from the box.

Hopefully that will get her settled on the new nest area. She will have food & water there and ability to get out after Sunday. Hoping she chooses to return to that nest!

So what do you think?
Sounds like a plan. Hope it works.
fl.gif

Well, our first Polish broody has her chicks a hatchin'! But here is my problem...

Yesterday we had the first hatcher who, was thrown out of the nest. So I put her back with mom and she instantly began pecking her (Not soft little comforting pecks...hard pecks) then she grabbed her by the head and began shaking the chick. I instantly intervened I just COULDN"T watch this :hmm So now that chick is in our garage with 2 other chicks that had hatched last night at 3 in the morning. I wasn't sure if she would still be mean so I went and got them out so the other little one could have a buddy. This morning we went out there to discover 2 more had hatched yet the hen wasn't picking on them (Except for when they came out from under her, she pecked their feet) I really would love if the hen could raise them but I'm worried now since I've separated the 3 she wont accept them. :/ I know stupid move but I felt bad that the other little one didn;t have a buddy. Do you think she'll accept them? And what is the best way to......put them in with her?
If you want to try and give her back the chicks you took away do it at night while she is resting, Just gently slip the chick under her with you hand over top of the chick, then stand around for a while to make sure all is well. Sure hope it works..
fl.gif

Okay I did it. I put the towel over her head and moved her to her new spot. I left the towel draped over her box so she is shielded from any light and tomorrow I will leave her covered up too. Then I'll take away the towel after dark on Sunday so that she will wake up to her nest and hopefully accept the move.

I reread my notes and realized I have to keep her in the dark two days, Saturday and Sunday. Anyone else do it that way? Is two days too many?

Last edited:
This thread helpped me quite a bit. I had a broody girl, first time hatch and first time broody, heres what i got

She was on 8 eggs, 2 still unhatched, i dont think they will hatch and the other 3 didnt really make it, i dont know why. But one got stuck inside the egg
sad.png
the poor baby. Only the strong hatch though, the other 2 got out but seemed like they died from either being to tired or soemthing else not sure why they died though.

But she got what she wanted chicks! She is a very happy little birdy.

The daddy was a SS and the eggs were mixed. PR, BR, Sex-link, and SS as well. I think the middle one is full SS, and i think the other two, which are red like sex link chicks could be from my sex link hens.

Is it possible for them to be sex links too? Or it is just there color?
When they start getting feathers on there wings i should be able to feather sex them, when do they normaly reach goto enough age for that? Like 3 days or 4?

This thread helpped me quite a bit. I had a broody girl, first time hatch and first time broody, heres what i got

She was on 8 eggs, 2 still unhatched, i dont think they will hatch and the other 3 didnt really make it, i dont know why. But one got stuck inside the egg
sad.png
the poor baby. Only the strong hatch though, the other 2 got out but seemed like they died from either being to tired or soemthing else not sure why they died though.

But she got what she wanted chicks! She is a very happy little birdy.

The daddy was a SS and the eggs were mixed. PR, BR, Sex-link, and SS as well. I think the middle one is full SS, and i think the other two, which are red like sex link chicks could be from my sex link hens.

Is it possible for them to be sex links too? Or it is just there color?
When they start getting feathers on there wings i should be able to feather sex them, when do they normaly reach goto enough age for that? Like 3 days or 4?
Pretty momma! Adorable chicks!

Okay I did it. I put the towel over her head and moved her to her new spot. I left the towel draped over her box so she is shielded from any light and tomorrow I will leave her covered up too. Then I'll take away the towel after dark on Sunday so that she will wake up to her nest and hopefully accept the move.
I reread my notes and realized I have to keep her in the dark two days, Saturday and Sunday. Anyone else do it that way? Is two days too many?

Are you saying your going to have her covered for 2 days without food and water? I don't know i've never heard of doing this. I just hope after all you hard work she'll stay this time..
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom