Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

I love the broody hens, I currently have over 30 hens, and of those only two CM's and two BA's had gone broody, until now. I currently have a bantam mix, porcilne mix, she went broody last week. So I gave her 3 eggs and we will she what she will do.

I hate the thought of "breaking" her broodieness.

I will post pics soon, she is a doll. Looks like going to be a good momma.

I just purchased five Partridge Cochins to have more broody hens.

I love the broody hens, I currently have over 30 hens, and of those only two CM's and two BA's had gone broody, until now. I currently have a bantam mix, porcilne mix, she went broody last week. So I gave her 3 eggs and we will she what she will do.

I hate the thought of "breaking" her broodieness.

I will post pics soon, she is a doll. Looks like going to be a good momma.

I just purchased five Partridge Cochins to have more broody hens.
It's very hard for me to break one too, but when it's winter we All take a break whether we want to or not. Good luck and let us know when they hatch.

I have a broody naked neck hen my question is once the chicks grow up do you have separate the chicks from the mom or will she do it

I have a broody naked neck hen my question is once the chicks grow up do you have separate the chicks from the mom or will she do it

The hen will leave her chicks when she is ready but if she is a 'super momma' and you want to start getting eggs again sooner you may want to separate the chicks from her eventually. Give them at least 6 weeks though.

Funny story about two of our chicks.

First, their "mama's were both RIR's.
Second, their broody mama was a Ausie. She is a great mama, raised yhem for about six weeks and then set them on their way. However..
Third, on of my CM hens started molting, and adopted the pair as hers and kept them by her side for another month.

This is them with their final mama, LOL

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

Funny story about two of our chicks.

First, their "mama's were both RIR's.
Second, their broody mama was a Ausie. She is a great mama, raised yhem for about six weeks and then set them on their way. However..
Third, on of my CM hens started molting, and adopted the pair as hers and kept them by her side for another month.

This is them with their final mama, LOL
Wow!!! That's pretty cool!

Back
Top Bottom