Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

I need some advice everyone. I just found out I have to get rid of my birds. Miss mini hatched four babies out a couple days ago , I found a home for everyone I think but what do I do with mini do I take her babies now or let her brood them for a certian amount of time and then send her to her new home. She and my other two adult serama are being shipped.

Hey.... can someone post those links to me as well.... me needs to read more.....
pop.gif
caf.gif

deb

One of my olive egger hens, sunny, has been building nests and laying eggs in the hay/alfalfa bales. She has gone broody and hatched babies before , but not since I've had her... pray every day that she goes broody;)
Except since nobody is laying but her.
I have no eggs LOL **sheesh** going to add golf balls to her nest for encouragement :)

I need some advice everyone. I just found out I have to get rid of my birds. Miss mini hatched four babies out a couple days ago , I found a home for everyone I think but what do I do with mini do I take her babies now or let her brood them for a certian amount of time and then send her to her new home. She and my other two adult serama are being shipped.

Well.....they sell day old chicks and they must take them at some point.

Have you found a home for the chicks??? Is the "mom" willing to brood the chicks or were they hoping to get older chicks. I think that is a major consideration for you. As well as are you able to keep Miss mini for a few weeks and then send her. Is her new "mom" willing to wait.

I think alot depends on the options that you have at the moment!! I wish you luck in your decision!!

Well.....they sell day old chicks and they must take them at some point.

Have you found a home for the chicks??? Is the "mom" willing to brood the chicks or were they hoping to get older chicks. I think that is a major consideration for you. As well as are you able to keep Miss mini for a few weeks and then send her. Is her new "mom" willing to wait.

I think alot depends on the options that you have at the moment!! I wish you luck in your decision!!
So sorry to hear your having to give up your birds gabrielle, I think what lindsey said sounds best, miss mini won't be happy having her chicks taken away but she will get over it. The best would be if mama and chicks could be together till she weans them, but under circumstances that cannot always happen. All the best in your decisions.

Found another good thing for broody hens. My meat birds are laying but they do not sit on eggs so they all freeze and crack. MY egg coop all went for the 1st big molt and nobody was laying . then one a started to lay but my bad golden comets were eating them. I was deciding how to do the mustard egg trick but it was buff orp to the rescue. She sits on them and this am there were 4 eggs. I wont call it broody yet and I don't want to hatch until spring but I hope she continues to sit and keep them from freezing or getting eaten.

Back
Top Bottom