Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

The two chicks so far. Haven't seen any others or sign of any others yet. Today is day 21.

all 6 have hatched!! my first ever hatch and I have all 6!!!!! mother hen is doing such a good job it's mind blowing how amazing nature is!
happy happy
smile.png
smile.png
Congratulations to you and the chicks and to mother hen.!!

3 have hatched!!!! I have 3 little chicks
big_smile.png
oh I'm so happy!!

I need advice again BYC peeps! mother hen has mites I have dusted her with mite powder, dusted the coop and hot watered bits I could but they are still around as she got them when she was sitting on the eggs! I'm worried (know my new chicks have them) what can I do help them out as they are so youn!,
HATE MITES lol but they are a fact of chickens
sad.png
If you have access to some wood ashes I would mix up a tub of half sand, half wood ash and put it in with mamma and babies to be a dust bath area. It can be loose on the floor in a corner if you don't have a tub for it.
Wood ashes are a favorite of our birds for dusting, and I believe helps with the parasite problem. If you search for 'mite treatments for chicks' in the medical section you should find a number of threads on it.

Well this morning I went out to the coop and heard some chirping. Had 2 chicks hatch so far.  They were all fluffy and dry so I assume they hatched during the night.  Not sure if any of the other have Pipped since the broody didn't want me to close.  The little Silver Ameracaunas were kinda of stumbling from underneath the broody. They couldn't really walk more of waddling.  I'm going to leave them be. Ill check a little bit later to see their progress.

Congrats on your hatch! If you don't mind where did you get your eggs. I too have hatched SA but looking for more diversity.

congrats!!!!
Double congrats!!! You are so lucky to be at the chick part of this process. Waiting is the hardest part for me. My EE Zelda is on Day 7 setting on some olive egger eggs (it's actually Day 12 if you count the five days on golf balls while I tried to find the fertile eggs). This thread is so helpful and exciting to see such successful hatches like yours! Post some pics!

Back
Top Bottom