Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

I would gather the chicks and get them into the coop where they can stay dry and cuddled up safe for a while. Do a head count on the chicks and make sure she isn't off looking after a roamer. If all of the chicks are there then continue to check frequently for mama and if she doesn't return within an hour or two then you may need to provide the little ones a warm broody pen with a heat lamp area. If they chicks are wet at all when you gather them up then you will need to get them into a brooder with heat available pretty soon, or give them a towel you ran through the dryer for a bit as a heat pad to rest on while you get them a brooder set up.
I really hope she shows back up soon!
fl.gif

I did gather up the babies- what a chore!!! I got them into the coop with a heat lamp and they are now dry. They seem so distressed over having no mom.. they keep chirping for her..
hit.gif
The Leghorn mixed hen that originally stole a chick from the missing brood hen has accepted 3 of the chicks that are all the same color as her little one. However when the other chicks try to go with their siblings to her, she pecks them! Interestingly, they are all dark colored or black. Racist chicken!? In any case here is my thinking, if I take out the chicks that are have no mommy, they will have to be re-introduced to the flock.. all the hens and rooster pretty much accept them with only an occasional peck here and there, separating them could pose a problem when introducing them back... They do already have some feathers but not all of them.. they are 4 weeks old and can actually fly across the coop pen and they seem to forage well and eat on their own. On the other hand, I am not sure at what point a chick can go without a heat source from mom.. They don't voluntarily go back to the pen and find the heat lamp during the day and I notice the other chicks tucking in under the leghorn throughout the day while they are out.. What do I do??

Hey guys. I just discovered ants in my broodys pen and nest. I do have a spot I can move her to but I'm scared that she would abandon her eggs. Opinions?
My chickens just eat the ants - I'd leave her alone unless they seem to be bothering her. Then on the other hand Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth will kill the ants and is perfectly safe for the chicken and the eggs - just gently move the eggs while she is out and sprinkle the bedding lightly and everything around it fairly heavily with DE and then lay the eggs back in the nest. It must be kept dry to work though so if it gets wet in there you may have to repeat after it drys out again. It is completely safe - the chicken can eat it, the chicks can eat it, (helps control worms) you could even eat it!! I buy mine at Tractor Supply.

i have a broody hen she went broody in a bucket lol
200x200px-ZC-8aa653cd_100_5099.jpeg
200x200px-ZC-1437f970_100_5102.jpeg
200x200px-ZC-20120fd6_100_5100.jpeg
she goes broody a lot so far this will be her 3rd hatch well im pretty sure she is broody shes been on the nest for 2 days now so i hope she is fully broody she has never let me down on a hatch .. im gonna put some of my silkie eggs under her

All of my hens eggs hatched and they are doing just wonderful. My RIR hen is sitting on some SQ buff silkie eggs and I will have to try and move her soon b/c she has been getting booted off with three more nest next to her. Just so that the other hens won't disturb her anymore.

Hi there! My chicks were fostered and hatched under two broody hens who insisted on sharing a nest box. Unfortunately, the old English game, Lucy, was killed by dogs :'( . These are some photos of them from April 24th to May 21st.

First baby hatched!!!

First dust bath!

Learning how to forage

Up close

Peepers is such a good mama! (She used to peep more than any other chick I've known)

I can't exclude their flock mates...
Thelma

Louise

Last edited:
Bunny had her 6 four week olds up on the roost for a bit tonight. I think they settled back on the floor for bed because last time I checked at lock up they were back on the floor.

I ended up tossing all the eggs from under Shirley Jones and Vanilla Ice because they mixed in new eggs and I couldn't tell what was old & good. I started them again with five eggs from today and I clearly marked those.

Day 17 FBCM hen....my first and her first. Candled tonight, all 11 eggs viable! A bunch of mutts.....Lavender Orpington roo, assortment of layers.

Eleven eggs......what was I thinking?????
hu.gif

Good practice for the two of us, I suppose.

Last edited:
Day 17 FBCM hen....my first and her first. Candled tonight, all 11 eggs viable! A bunch of mutts.....Lavender Orpington roo, assortment of layers.

Eleven eggs......what was I thinking?????
hu.gif

Good practice for the two of us, I suppose.
I did the same.... but I set somewhere around 25 O.O Hopefully people like to purchase mutts in my area... lol.

Back
Top Bottom