Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

Hello, everyone! My husband and I are very new to raising chickens; we bought eight hens last spring (so they're about 7-8 months old now) for eggs and we are really enjoying having them.

We noticed about ten days ago that "Buffy" (our Orpington) was refusing to leave her nest box and so we figured she was broody. Yesterday some friends of ours let us "borrow" their rooster and our plan is to leave the rooster with all the hens for a few days and then have Buffy sit on about 8 eggs or so and see if we can get them to hatch.

Which brings me to my question. It's my understanding that it takes 21 days from fertilization to hatching. Are hens only broody for 21 days or will she continue to sit on the eggs until they hatch? For example, it's already been 10 days since she went broody so if I put eggs under her in the next few days will she just get up and be done with them after another 11-12 days has gone by or will she sit on them until they hatch? Sorry if that sounds like a dumb question; we just aren't sure. :)

Also, I noticed that many people remove the hen and chicks from the community area once they are hatched. Will it be upsetting to the hen if I only remove the chicks? I have a small area for the chicks to stay with a heat lamp but it won't be big enough for the hen, too. I just don't want my poor mama hen to be very distraught if I take her babies. If she will be, then we'll have to figure something else out.

Thanks for putting up with my newbie questions! :)
Well, if the rooster immediately begins mating with the hens (not impossible, but unlikely) the first fertilized eggs from your hens wouldn't be for 3-4 days after mating. Generally, my roo has his favorite of the day and only mates with that particular hen. Some roosters will cover all of the hens every day, but most don't. Once a mating has occurred, the hen will be fertile for about 2 weeks after the first 3 days of waiting. So, if the rooster covered all of the hens on Sunday, Wednesday's eggs should be fertile and for about 10-14 days afterwards. Usually though, the rooster doesn't cover all of the hens every day. You may also have some hens that are resistant to his mating with them and they may not allow him to mate at all. I have one hen that is like that, she'll only get covered every 3-4 weeks because she manages to get away from him most of the time. She's the one that prefers to be broody, so I don't have a problem with her not laying fertile eggs.

Then, should you have fertile eggs, collect them and then slip them all under the broody at the same time. The fertile eggs should keep for about a week. Store them in an egg carton, pointy end down until you are ready to slip them under her. The hatch rate really starts to drop after a week.

A "really" broody hen will stay broody until she has chicks. It is not particularly good for her to stay broody this long though as she tends to not eat, drink and evacuate as often as she does when she is not broody. I don't separate my broody from the rest of the flock and I allow her to raise the chicks herself. I usually lose one or two this way because a cat or hawk will get them, but I've never lost one to another hen. Also, it is getting pretty late in the year. There is a possibility that your broody will break as the weather gets colder and will abandon the nest.

I guess what I am trying to say is that I would not give her any eggs now, I'd let her break her broody when the weather gets colder or try to break her using the methods described on this site. Then, when she goes broody in the spring, I'd either purchase some eggs from the friend that owns the rooster to set under her or purchase some from a breeder. Let her hatch them out and raise them in the spring when it will be easier on all of you.

Just my thoughts from my experience and from what I've garnered off of this site.

Good luck!
smile.png

Again, this is such a good an informational thread and I just want to say thank you everyone who has experience and post to help us inexperienced out! I now have 4 babies, one delayed hatching until yesterday (three days later!) Momma has been doing so good. I have a friend who keeps telling me I need to take the babies away from the mom because she will sit on them and kill them. I think shes telling me this due to a bad experience on her part with one of her broodys, but I just wanted to see what everyone else thinks. I have no reason to think my momma will do this as see seems the perfect momma. Second question, I have my momma and her babies in a dog crate in the corner of the coop, am I ok to at some point open the dog crate up and allow them to rejoin the flock? Just don't know what to do with my momma and her new babies. Thanks for the help!

Again, this is such a good an informational thread and I just want to say thank you everyone who has experience and post to help us inexperienced out! I now have 4 babies, one delayed hatching until yesterday (three days later!) Momma has been doing so good. I have a friend who keeps telling me I need to take the babies away from the mom because she will sit on them and kill them. I think shes telling me this due to a bad experience on her part with one of her broodys, but I just wanted to see what everyone else thinks. I have no reason to think my momma will do this as see seems the perfect momma. Second question, I have my momma and her babies in a dog crate in the corner of the coop, am I ok to at some point open the dog crate up and allow them to rejoin the flock? Just don't know what to do with my momma and her new babies. Thanks for the help!
I wouldn't ever take the chicks away. It makes the mothers very sad. One of my broodys only hatched out one chick and a neighbor's cat got the chick. She was sad for days afterwards.

I don't separate mine, I let mom decide when it is okay to take the babies out of the brood area and let them join the rest of the flock. My brood area is separate, but there isn't a door separating the flock out. I just give mom a smaller area to protect rather than the entire run. (it is complicated and difficult to describe) Anyway, I would think that a week would be fine to open up the dog crate and let them rejoin the flock.

HI, I agree it sounds like your friend has had a bad experience.........
Might ad, if this were true, we would not have chickens, the moms would have killed them all...........
Mom will not squash the chicks and they will thrive much better with her..............And as they previous person stated............
It is rough on Mom to have them taken away.
We need to trust the hen and mother nature...........
big_smile.png

My hens usually brood in the dog kennel. What works for me is to let Mom and chick have a few days or week to get to know each other.
By then, the chicks have learned to run to Mom when she calls.
Then I let them out with the flock. An issue to solve this time of year is how to get the chicks starter feed without the other chickens eating it. Unless you give everyone starter and provide Oyster shell for the other hens????????? HAVE FUN..........

HI, I agree it sounds like your friend has had a bad experience.........
Might ad, if this were true, we would not have chickens, the moms would have killed them all...........
Mom will not squash the chicks and they will thrive much better with her..............And as they previous person stated............
It is rough on Mom to have them taken away.
We need to trust the hen and mother nature...........
big_smile.png

My hens usually brood in the dog kennel. What works for me is to let Mom and chick have a few days or week to get to know each other.
By then, the chicks have learned to run to Mom when she calls.
Then I let them out with the flock. An issue to solve this time of year is how to get the chicks starter feed without the other chickens eating it. Unless you give everyone starter and provide Oyster shell for the other hens????????? HAVE FUN..........
I put everyone on starter and provide oyster shell for the hens that want it. Most of mine don't touch it, but it makes me feel better to have it out there. I think there are some breeds that need it more than others.
big_smile.png

[COLOR=008080][COLOR=000000]x's 2.mine rarely touch it[/COLOR][/COLOR]

x3 on the starter feed and oyster shell in seperate hopper. My hens are eating the oyster shell, though. Also the higher protein starter is working out since my older hens are all moting right now and need more protein.

My broody and her babies are going on 10 weeks old. She still treats them as if they are little babies....so cute. They have been fully integrated with the flock since they were about a week old. They all get along just fine. It'll be interesting to see how the new young cockerel will get along with my rooster. Luckily, out of 5 babies, there seems to be only one male.

x3 on the starter feed and oyster shell in seperate hopper. My hens are eating the oyster shell, though. Also the higher protein starter is working out since my older hens are all moting right now and need more protein.

My broody and her babies are going on 10 weeks old. She still treats them as if they are little babies....so cute. They have been fully integrated with the flock since they were about a week old. They all get along just fine. It'll be interesting to see how the new young cockerel will get along with my rooster. Luckily, out of 5 babies, there seems to be only one male.
I'm out of town right now and my son decided to let the chickens free range yesterday. I separated out the now 10 week old chicks into a separate coop and run about 3 weeks ago. Yesterday was the first time that they've been out together since then. He said it was hilarious, the older rooster puffed himself all up, dropped his wings and got in between the babies (they are still babies I think) and "his" hens. No fighting occurred, but obviously they need to be put out separately in the future before any fighting begins. I have to say that the brahma chooks are almost as big as the hens and even the pullet will be larger than the old rooster by the time she finishes growing!

Back
Top Bottom