Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

We have two co-broody hens. There are two tiny chicks under them this morning! Yay! (About 2-dozen eggs) I found one dead chick still half in the egg yesterday, so I'm on the lookout for homicidal behavior. I don't have time to go through all 2K+ pages of this thread... Is there an FAQ-spot on what to do as the chicks are hatching and what to do right after? The FAQs at the thread start seemed to refer to starting a hen only.

Yes. Leave the broody alone and just keep an eye on things. When she is done hatching she will leave the nest with babies in tow. Provide water & chick starter for the babies. And get your camera out to take & post pics. :) the broody will do the rest.

Forgot to add...co broodies are even better because they will both keep chicks safe and teach them. I've had co before and they are adorable to watch. Mine was a silky and a silky mix who looked so cute with their LF girls trying to tuck under their wings.

Last edited:
LOL At the chasing the chicks in! I can so relate! I commute an hour to work each way, so am gone from the house 11-12 hrs per day. When I get home I let the moms and chicks out to free range with the flock.

I have had both broody and brooder raised chicks and its so much fun to watch the moms and chicks. However this year I have had an insane number of broody moms. I have 3 clutches going right now-one with co parents. Which meansd 4 mommas, plus 3 others broody=non stop fighting amongst the moms, broodys etc. So my mad dashes around are breaking up fights when they get out of hand, and helping the lost screaming chicks figure out which one momma is! Fun times!

Back
Top Bottom