Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

Hi calichicken

Thanks for explaining more. I'm still not sure I understand how this has happened unless perhaps the supplier had a broody that had been sitting on the eggs for several days before she collected them and sent them to you.

You are right though, it is definitely much simpler having your own cockerel, but then of course you are limited to one breed.  Or you have several cockerels.... like I am ending up with..... It started out as a bit of fun but the "chicken math" is getting out of control rapidly! :confused:  

Thanks bobbieschicks for confirming that what I thought was correct. I'm still very new to rearing chickens and would hate to think I had the wrong end of the stick on something so important.
So relieved that my broodies seem to know what they are doing and I just need to watch and learn and try not to meddle too much.

Something else you mentioned begs another question.... about the broodies bare breast heating the eggs, which reminds me of something I read about broodies plucking their breasts. Neither of my 2 broodies have shown any obvious sign of this. Is it really noticeable and do all broodies do this or have a misunderstood again?

Thanks

Barbara

I've noticed it more on the winter broodies then the spring and summer ones. And it depends on the size of their clutch and weather as to how much feathering disappears.

Awh!

Hi calichicken

Thanks for explaining more. I'm still not sure I understand how this has happened unless perhaps the supplier had a broody that had been sitting on the eggs for several days before she collected them and sent them to you.

You are right though, it is definitely much simpler having your own cockerel, but then of course you are limited to one breed. Or you have several cockerels.... like I am ending up with..... It started out as a bit of fun but the "chicken math" is getting out of control rapidly!
hu.gif

Thanks bobbieschicks for confirming that what I thought was correct. I'm still very new to rearing chickens and would hate to think I had the wrong end of the stick on something so important.
So relieved that my broodies seem to know what they are doing and I just need to watch and learn and try not to meddle too much.

Something else you mentioned begs another question.... about the broodies bare breast heating the eggs, which reminds me of something I read about broodies plucking their breasts. Neither of my 2 broodies have shown any obvious sign of this. Is it really noticeable and do all broodies do this or have a misunderstood again?

Thanks

Barbara
Your welcome..and I am 100% sure I have no idea how this happened!!! But I am thinking that one egg must have been well on its way developing and was mixed in somehow with the rest of the eggs I was given by the supplier
idunno.gif
Mistakes happen so I am just going with the flow at this point and following my broodies lead since she is the expert! I signed on here to get advice from people who are more experienced with broodies about my situation because I was totally surprised when one hatched so early! All the help and support I have received is amazing and has helped me with this whole process
smile.png
Thank goodness for this forum!!!!

How long is the hatching process in general. I used hatching eggs that I ordered so they went through the mail where temperature wasn't consistent. Two so far hatched today. I know not all 9 may hatch but is it normal for them to come on different days? When should I call it on any egg that didn't hatch? Thanks!

How long is the hatching process in general. I used hatching eggs that I ordered so they went through the mail where temperature wasn't consistent. Two so far hatched today. I know not all 9 may hatch but is it normal for them to come on different days? When should I call it on any egg that didn't hatch? Thanks!

I usually leave the eggs alone at hatching. The broody will leave eventually when all that will hatch do hatch. 21 days is average. I've had 19 days and 24 day hatches.

Well my broody BO who hatched out the four barnyard mix chicks at the beginning of June is at it again.....she hasn't moved from the nest box all day.
And just as I am placing an order for day old sexed female chicks!
Apparently, the four she hatched are turning out to be all cockerels!! :rant
Not that she has any control over this, but it still just chaps my.....

Anyway, I'm on here to see if it is too soon for her to "brood" again.... I would let her sit on the wooden eggs for the next 12-14 days and place the day old chicks under her when the arrive to see if I can get her to raise them.....
Although, I will say the batch she raised are soooooo flighty, I'm not sure if I want my laying hens to be that way. Maybe it is just because they are roosters?

Well my broody BO who hatched out the four barnyard mix chicks at the beginning of June is at it again.....she hasn't moved from the nest box all day.
And just as I am placing an order for day old sexed female chicks!
Apparently, the four she hatched are turning out to be all cockerels!! :rant
Not that she has any control over this, but it still just chaps my.....

Anyway, I'm on here to see if it is too soon for her to "brood" again.... I would let her sit on the wooden eggs for the next 12-14 days and place the day old chicks under her when the arrive to see if I can get her to raise them.....
Although, I will say the batch she raised are soooooo flighty, I'm not sure if I want my laying hens to be that way. Maybe it is just because they are roosters?

Sounds like she doesn't think it's too soon. :)

I've let my broodies do back to back hatches without problems. I supplement their layer feed with scrambled eggs and dried meal worms.

It sounds like she might have a shorter cycle anyway with the shipped eggs. So that will help her to not get too lean or suffer ill effects.

I know what you mean about hatching cockerels. My RIR hatched 3 WL. They're five weeks old and two have little red combs. The third has a little yellow one so hopefully that will mean pullet. But having gone through hatching and raising WL chicks before I know to wait until closer to 8 weeks to confirm as some cockerels are slower at growing their comb them others and by then it will be obvious.

Last edited:
Sounds like she doesn't think it's too soon. :)

I've let my broodies do back to back hatches without problems. I supplement their layer feed with scrambled eggs and dried meal worms.

It sounds like she might have a shorter cycle anyway with the shipped eggs. So that will help her to not get too lean or suffer ill effects.

I know what you mean about hatching cockerels. My RIR hatched 3 WL. They're five weeks old and two have little red combs. The third has a little yellow one so hopefully that will mean pullet. But having gone through hatching and raising WL chicks before I know to wait until closer to 8 weeks to confirm as some cockerels are slower at growing their comb them others and by then it will be obvious.

Good point Bobbies chick. :D I haven't picked her up lately, but she seems to be in good health and was laying eggs up until the other day...
It would be a shorter cycle with the shipped day old chicks, hopefully that won't cause her to reject them.

Oh no! It was fun watching her hatch them out, but I'm not sure I will ever get over the fear of a 100% cockerel hatch lol

I take it one of the trio is a rooster?

Don't store them in the fridge unless the temps are around 65F. It will be too cold for the eggs to develop. Find a dark spot, a closet perhaps? Under a bed?

I keep my eggs in a carton on my kitchen shelf out of direct sunlight. We have Andersen windows that block UV rays so it stays relatively cool there. I've kept shipped eggs in my spare bedroom but only for a day or so. Our house temps are set for 72F but of course fluctuate slightly. Eggs stored will degrade in fertilization over time. I've hatched two week old eggs from my kitchen countertop when my pullet suddenly died and I wanted to hatch her eggs. But fresh eggs are more likely to hatch then stored eggs.

My broodies will collect eggs for several days in hidden clutches before going broody and sitting on them. I think that's what I'm seeing when they linger in the nest without any eggs under them and don't lay. That's probably why sometimes I get their hatch dates wrong.

As far as developing goes, if it's hot enough outside I collect eggs several times a day otherwise some industrious broody might claim them and start sitting. You can see the blood veins and tiny dot of a chick formed by Day 3. We did a project for homeschool and watched our WLs develop, that's how we got started with chickens.

Thank you, yes the third of the trio is a rooster. Today I realized the girls were not sharing the nest as sweetly as I thought and two times an egg got tossed out onto the floor... Hope they will be okay, it wasn't the softest landing. I only had one nest box in there... what was I thinking? So I put the broody in a neighboring cage and put a new nest box in for Anna so now no one will be sitting on her eggs as she lays them. I just want to collect six or so before I incubate them. There were two more eggs today than there were last night, I don't know how that is possible since one hen is broody, maybe I missed one last night!?

I'll see if I can find a cool spot for the eggs... maybe I'll stick my thermometer in my bathroom drawer and see what it says... I think that is our coolest room : )

Thanks again and btw, we are homeschoolers too!!

Back
Top Bottom