Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

I am thinking about letting my silkie sit on some eggs. She hasn't shown any signs of being broody yet, but I was wondering if I put some eggs in there if that would be some encouragement. Also, she is a very small silkie, what would be a good number of large chicken eggs to give her?
A nest full of eggs is sometimes enough to intice a brood; especially in silkies (and other "broody type" breeds) but you'll want to make sure she is serious before giving her the eggs you want her to hatch. Has she brooded before? For a 1st timer I would recommend cheap or free eggs just in case. 3-4 LF or 5-6 bantam would be the max I'd try. Check and make sure she can cover them all completely and remove 1 or 2 if needed.

A nest full of eggs is sometimes enough to intice a brood; especially in silkies (and other "broody type" breeds) but you'll want to make sure she is serious before giving her the eggs you want her to hatch. Has she brooded before? For a 1st timer I would recommend cheap or free eggs just in case. 3-4 LF or 5-6 bantam would be the max I'd try. Check and make sure she can cover them all completely and remove 1 or 2 if needed.

The welsummer is serious, seriously POed, too. She plopped herself down on 7 of her eggs and 5 EE eggs. She's covering all 12, and my setting ameraucana has 13 about to hatch under her.

The welsummer is serious, seriously POed, too. She plopped herself down on 7 of her eggs and 5 EE eggs. She's covering all 12, and my setting ameraucana has 13 about to hatch under her.

Very nice! So far I've only had one LF brood for me. It was November and her 1st try so she only got 6 eggs but she hatched 5.

Very nice! So far I've only had one LF brood for me. It was November and her 1st try so she only got 6 eggs but she hatched 5.

The banty hen's chicks are over a month old, and she's losing interest in them. I'm wondering if she plans to go broody again soon. My first attempt at hatching ever was last year. The australorp got 6 eggs and 1 hatched.

Last edited:
How msny eggs would you put under a big Australorp ? She's about6-7 Ibs our biggest hen!! She's definitely broody! Thank goodness I always keep fertile eggs ! My broody pepper did wonderful on10 eggs and she is 1/3 the size.

How msny eggs would you put under a big Australorp ? She's about6-7 Ibs our biggest hen!! She's definitely broody! Thank goodness I always keep fertile eggs ! My broody pepper did wonderful on10 eggs and she is 1/3 the size.
I have brahmas, which are a little bigger than your Australorp (8 lbs), I put 12 under them for their first brood...second brood usually up to 15. I'd say your girl can probably cover 8-10, maybe more.

I have brahmas, which are a little bigger than your Australorp (8 lbs), I put 12 under them for their first brood...second brood usually up to 15.  I'd say your girl can probably cover 8-10, maybe more.
Perfect, Thank you! I have a feeling my top hen is also going broody. Plus 10 in the incubator will make for a couple busy months.
1f606.png
1f606.png

You shouldn't need any heat; the hens will keep the babies warm. It's amazing how much "tougher" broody raised chicks are. I had a hatch the beginning of December and Mama had her 3 day old babies out in 40 degree weather with no problems. They will run under mama when they get cold.

The hens will decide when it is time to "ween" the chicks. They will start roosting at night and may drive the young ones away during the day.

As far as mixing the hens and chicks - it depends. If there is plenty of space and seperate nesting areas I'd go ahead and let them mingle with supervision to start. Since they are both hatching at the same time you may have some co-parenting happen. On the other hand one or both of the mamas could be extra protective and peck at any "intruders" (the other hen & her chicks) and the babies could be injured in the scuffle. It really comes down to the personality of the birds - just watch things carefully the first few days and be ready to separate them if necessary.

Good luck and please keep us posted.
Good advice. I release my brood to the flock several days after hatch. However, I free range and have lots of room. I also provide a variety of shelters, plenty of corners and crannies for the brood to get out of the way of the adults. A subordinate hen will in general still be subordinate with her brood and that is OK, she will do what she does best and that is run away with her brood in tow. Other hens will dominate the chicks along with the mother hen, but it is not vicious or meant to kill them. The first few days out of isolation will be the worst and a little nerve racking to watch. The brood of a dominate hen will be royalty and treated as such by the rest of the flock. My experience is limited to just 3 years, but I have not yet had a chick injured, much less killed. They are tough little critters. Also, if two broods come off at the same time, the mother hens may not get along as previously mentioned, my haatches have been staggered such that I have never had that problem. Good luck and try to stay calm.

Back
Top Bottom