Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

Looks like my broody will only end up with one chick. 2 eggs were too old and the other 2 may be as well, also could be infertile. Do you think it will be okay by itself? A little worried about it socially...

If chicks were sold in feedstores here like in the US, I would get a couple more to put under her.

Looks like my broody will only end up with one chick. 2 eggs were too old and the other 2 may be as well, also could be infertile. Do you think it will be okay by itself? A little worried about it socially...

If chicks were sold in feedstores here like in the US, I would get a couple more to put under her.

It should be okay! A lot of people do lone chicks with broodies. As long as it has its mother, it's not lonely :)

I don't think Lacie goose is going to get to be a mother this year. I tried to put a pipped egg from my incubator under her today and she started attacking the pip and trying to break the shell off. I snatched it back before she could do any real damage. She heard it peeping and was curious but still went after it. I will show it to her once it is hatched and see if she wants it, but I'm not holding my breath.

wee.gif

Thanks! I was planning on not intervening, but I hope my broody knows what to do. I happened to be nearby when it hatched. I went inside and came back out a few minutes later to check. The chick was lying beside her (cold) chirping loudly! Broody didn't seem to be doing anything so I pushed it back under. And when she saw its head under the flashlight, she pecked at it. I quickly turned it off and have left them alone...I heard it peeping a few times but broody didn't respond to it; she's seems to be trying to sleep.

Thanks! I was planning on not intervening, but I hope my broody knows what to do. I happened to be nearby when it hatched. I went inside and came back out a few minutes later to check. The chick was lying beside her (cold) chirping loudly! Broody didn't seem to be doing anything so I pushed it back under. And when she saw its head under the flashlight, she pecked at it. I quickly turned it off and have left them alone...I heard it peeping a few times but broody didn't respond to it; she's seems to be trying to sleep.

Oh i hope she accepts it.....seems like she would...but i dont know much about issues like that. So far my hens have been good mothers. I am missing two chicks today, so i am guessing a hawk or possibly a fox. I knew it was bound to happen, but i hate it.

Hi everyone, I have been real lucky as far as a good broody. The first time that she sat on eggs I worried and worried about whether she would be a good mother or not and that was really silly of me she has been wonderful. Now her chicks are 10 weeks old and she has gone Broody again. I thought it was too soon and still do that she evidently really likes being a mom because I got eggs for her after I had tried to discourage her a couple of times by taking eggs away and decided to give up on that because she would not leave the nest so she is sitting on six eggs right now and I hope that they are fertile. I can't wait until I can candle them and find out. My daughter got rid of four roosters so there's only one left and we will see how well he's done. I just love having a broody hen, I have incubated eggs three times and it's so much easier with a Broody. I hope you guys have as good a luck with your broody as me and that their person with only one chick has good luck with that

Last edited:
Oh i hope she accepts it.....seems like she would...but i dont know much about issues like that. So far my hens have been good mothers. I am missing two chicks today, so i am guessing a hawk or possibly a fox. I knew it was bound to happen, but i hate it.

Just went out to check on them again and felt reassured. Chick (a blue Ameraucana) stuck its head out from under her wing and she just looked at it. Then she seemed to peck it back under her. It was chirping and she was clucking back. They seem to be acquainted now! I was a little paranoid because a Black Sex-link hen once killed her chicks (the only other time I let a broody hatch). Sorry about your missing chicks
sad.png

Hi everyone, I have been real lucky as far as a good broody. The first time that she sat on eggs I worried and worried about whether she would be a good mother or not and that was really silly of me she has been wonderful. Now her chicks are 10 weeks old and she has gone Broody again. I thought it was too soon and still do that she evidently really likes being a mom because I got eggs for her after I had tried to discourage her a couple of times by taking eggs away and decided to give up on that because she would not leave the nest so she is sitting on six eggs right now and I hope that they are fertile. I can't wait until I can candle them and find out. My daughter got rid of four roosters so there's only one left and we will see how well he's done. I just love having a broody hen, I have incubated eggs three times and it's so much easier with a Broody. I hope you guys have as good a luck with your broody as me and that their person with only one chick has good luck with that

Thank you! It is definitely easier to hatch with a broody! Hope your eggs are developing.

My first ever broody & her first hatch was a success. She hatched 6/8, unfortunately I found 2 of the little ones deceased today. I replaced the 2 she lost with siblings from the incubator and moved her to a better location. The new broody box was great for her to sit, but gotta work some kinks out for momma & babies to work in it. The 2 that didn't make it must have been adventurous & couldn't find their way back to momma
1f622.png
Congrats to everyone else with a broody & chicks. Good luck to all you that are waiting for chicks to hatch.

Back
Top Bottom