Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

Well the coop is attached to the run but she does decided to nest on the ground in the run. The top is wood and the sides and bottom is wire. The broody is the boss and always has been so everyone gets out of her way roosters included. I'm only worried because just yesterday my biggest hen (a Red Ranger) decided to lay an egg inside her nest and she stepped on and crushed two developing eggs.
Please use common sense. One they are unprotected, when hatched if any left they can get taken through the wire or under it.

My newest hatched Easter Eggers -- hatched 8/9/15. The center chick was hatched with an F1EE roo and a Lavender Ameraucana hen.

I just finished moving her and her nest into a large dog crate as hatch day is this Friday. I'm so excited!

That sounds ideal. I think that being out in the run would mean that the hen and her eggs or hen and her chicks will be too vulnerable from the rest of the flock, predators or the weather.

How did your broody take to being moved? Is she sitting on her eggs in the crate?

Is the crate in the run or is it indoors?

Let us know,

I have a broody Barred Rock and she is being great. I'm not sure when she started setting but today I found a very stinky broken up baby chick whose egg must have been broken either by my broody or by another hen. I moved the eggs and broody to a clean box but was wondering if I should clean off the other 11 eggs? If so with what?

The eggs that have any debris on them will need to be cleaned because the debris will in all probability attract bacteria which could lead to an infection which would harm the chick.

As has already been said, use a dry cloth because every egg has an invisible protective layer on the outside which will be damaged if washed with soap or too much water. If you can get away with cleaning it without using water then that is perfect. Use as little water as possible.

I would only clean any eggs that have dirt on them- don't clean any other eggs unnecessarily.

Good luck,

I have a quick question. My broody is on her 5th day. She wouldn't let me move her so she is sitting in one of the best boxes in the coop. It has been pretty hot here lately and she was panting this morning. So I opened up both doors in the coop which coolers her down. However I noticed her comb and wattles are very pale. Is this normal? I am afraid she may not be eating and drinking.

I have a quick question. My broody is on her 5th day. She wouldn't let me move her so she is sitting in one of the best boxes in the coop. It has been pretty hot here lately and she was panting this morning. So I opened up both doors in the coop which coolers her down. However I noticed her comb and wattles are very pale. Is this normal? I am afraid she may not be eating and drinking.

They often get pale when setting, but only 5 days in seems quick to be looking poorly. If her eyes are bright and clear and her reactions are at normal speed then it may just be her 'normal', every hen is a bit different. Watch her closely for any signs of distress and make sure her nest area gets ventilation and doesn't get too warm.

Back
Top Bottom