Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

All should be hatched by friday---some will be hatching late thursday. Eggs start to incubate when they are put under the broodies, or in the incubator----when they were layed has nothing to do with it---except if they got to old after they were layed before they were 'set"----Meaning I can use a egg thats layed today, one tomorrow, one the next day----1 from several more days----once I put them under the hen---they will all hatch at the same time/day if they were fertile.

Edited to add, sometimes your hatch rate can be not as good when you got 2 hens broody in one nest----sometimes it can take a little longer for some eggs to hatch, sometimes one hen ends up with all the chicks, some times not. "I" personally do not allow double setters in one nest----but those are yours----and you can if you want---LOL.
Yes, that's what I though I've learned....that eggs do not start incubating UNTIL they are placed under some heat from an incubator or a hen. But eggs should not lay dormant or "resting" longer than 7-10 days without heat.

Okay, so I should start checking or listening for chicks as early as Thursday? But because there are two hens on one nest I can also expect a low hatch rate.....or a later hatch? I felt bad separating them as I only have 3 hens. The third one runs around our yard by herself a few hours each day because her girlfriends have dang gone broody!! Haha!

Thanks for you help! :)

Yes, that's what I though I've learned....that eggs do not start incubating UNTIL they are placed under some heat from an incubator or a hen. But eggs should not lay dormant or "resting" longer than 7-10 days without heat.

Okay, so I should start checking or listening for chicks as early as Thursday? But because there are two hens on one nest I can also expect a low hatch rate.....or a later hatch? I felt bad separating them as I only have 3 hens. The third one runs around our yard by herself a few hours each day because her girlfriends have dang gone broody!! Haha!

Thanks for you help! :)
What you do and what I do might be 2 entirely things. "I" would listen, but not touch the chicks and for sure not the hens unless something crazy is going on. "I" would plug in the incubator and have it ready---just in case. The reason for delayed hatches on some eggs is when the hens are stealing the eggs-----eggs do not get under them good enough----so the egg temp cools, but later if the hen pulls the egg under her it heats back up but that can cause a delay in hatching---if it happens more than once---if the chick hatches it might be a day behind the others.

Don't take this wrong, but I take my hatching serious, because each egg that hatches is money in my pocket. Its a part-time job for me. I rather do it that Work at a punch clock job. So, having said that---every broody is moved to her own hatching pen---so I will have the greatest hatch rate. Watching the smile on everyones face that gets new chicks---makes me happy---making a little money helps pay the $200 per week feed bill and the $400 electric bill that I have had at times. With the broodies----no electric bill, but some feed to keep them going.

not a silly question,  
and how many chicks are you getting her to raise?  11 plus?, you need another broody or an incubator.  home made with plastic tote and heat lamp.  there is many posts about this earlier.
age wise 7 days is the outside maximum difference but I am use to small broods of 3 or 4 so more than 11 is unfathomable.  They can get cold after hatching and develop illnesses or die of exposure.
You might make a combination broody/incubator, alot bigger than a tote.  
dog kennels, wire kind, are big.  I cover mine up at night.  
She could also kill any chicks that are new just because.  
Broodies can go crazy trying to deal with all they have too.

My incubator chicks hatched yesterday an this morning, the broodies hatched last Saturday. She has 3 and I had 5 hatch out. She is in a coop by herself with no outside interference from the rest of the flock and the coop is roughly 5x8'. It has been very warm here reaching the mid 90's (central Texas in fall...sigh) and that coop stays warm all day.

I think i will try it and see this evening. If it doesn't work, then no biggy, I can brood them out in the brooder. It would just be easier if she could do it for me ;)

What you do and what I do might be 2 entirely things. "I" would listen, but not touch the chicks and for sure not the hens unless something crazy is going on. "I" would plug in the incubator and have it ready---just in case. The reason for delayed hatches on some eggs is when the hens are stealing the eggs-----eggs do not get under them good enough----so the egg temp cools, but later if the hen pulls the egg under her it heats back up but that can cause a delay in hatching---if it happens more than once---if the chick hatches it might be a day behind the others.

Don't take this wrong, but I take my hatching serious, because each egg that hatches is money in my pocket. Its a part-time job for me. I rather do it that Work at a punch clock job. So, having said that---every broody is moved to her own hatching pen---so I will have the greatest hatch rate. Watching the smile on everyones face that gets new chicks---makes me happy---making a little money helps pay the $200 per week feed bill and the $400 electric bill that I have had at times. With the broodies----no electric bill, but some feed to keep them going.

Sounds like good advice. I appreciate it, thank you!

She took them and all are doing well :)

She is a conchin x white leghorn. The only full conchin I had was a roo (and terribly aggressive), but these crosses have been excellent broodies and Mommas!

Just posting a pic of my broody Pretty Girl. Third time brooding and she's in the zone. She's so gentle (never pecks me when I candle the eggs etc), and a great mum. I'm as always impressed by the pancaking - she turns into quite the puddle, and is covering a dozen big Plymouth Rock eggs without any trouble.

Is there an age at which you should no longer put a broody hen over eggs, or will they just stop going broody when their body isn't up to it any more?

Is there an age at which you should no longer put a broody hen over eggs, or will they just stop going broody when their body isn't up to it any more?

as long as the hen can maintain a good body condition and energy level she should be fine....you may notice she will take more time between broods to recover. I would continue to allow her to choose when to brood as long as she is able to care for herself and the chicks.

Last edited:
as long as the hen can maintain a good body condition and energy level she should be fine....you may notice she will take more time between broods to recover. I would continue to allow her to choose when to brood as long as she is able to care for herself and the chicks.

Just posting a pic of my broody Pretty Girl. Third time brooding and she's in the zone. She's so gentle (never pecks me when I candle the eggs etc), and a great mum. I'm as always impressed by the pancaking - she turns into quite the puddle, and is covering a dozen big Plymouth Rock eggs without any trouble. Is there an age at which you should no longer put a broody hen over eggs, or will they just stop going broody when their body isn't up to it any more?
She is so pretty!

Back
Top Bottom