Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

Quote:
Why Nightmare? I am old peoples.
I am now wondering if I should look for signs that mama is taking them to the water and food? I mean she already did an amazing job, in-spite of my efforts, even if there is only ever 2. With sick chickens I am the first one to say Sometimes we over *Mother* in an attempt to help and end up doing more harm than good. Is this one of those situations?
I really want coop cams!

I am now wondering if I should look for signs that mama is taking them to the water and food? I mean she already did an amazing job, in-spite of my efforts, even if there is only ever 2. With sick chickens I am the first one to say Sometimes we over *Mother* in an attempt to help and end up doing more harm than good. Is this one of those situations?
I really want coop cams!
She won't "take" take them to food and water for a day or so, but if you put a little food in the box w/ her and a SHALLOW dish of water (like a jar lid) she will eat and start teaching them the food call. I usually put in a mashed up boiled egg,

I really want coop cams!

I am sorry. Your hen and chicks are healthy from what I can see. That's the "nightmare", I have a hard time seeing chicks in the pictures; especially the 1st picture. I really needed a magnifying glass to find the black chick peeking out from under its black mother.

Quote: Great tip I will make some now and let them cool. Should I wait till morning or bring her something yet tonite?

Quote: OH ok that one blends really well there is a #2 for sure with just a bit of white on it. I saw that one snapped a pic and came in to compare chick pics as it looked different to me when I got in and put it on my 48" monitor I saw the first Chick was hiding on moms wing.

Yep there are 2 but they are Camo Chicks
big_smile.png

Great tip I will make some now and let them cool. Should I wait till morning or bring her something yet tonite?

OH ok that one blends really well there is a #2 for sure with just a bit of white on it. I saw that one snapped a pic and came in to compare chick pics as it looked different to me when I got in and put it on my 48" monitor I saw the first Chick was hiding on moms wing.

Yep there are 2 but they are Camo Chicks
big_smile.png

Either way will work. "They" say chicks don't eat for a day or two after hatch, but mine have always hatched hungry and would eat as soon as they could stand and not wobble. I had eggs in the incubator a week or so ago, I gave the chicks to the broody to raise, the first 2 to hatch were very aggressive w/ the new hatch, I put a little food in they ate it and were much friendlier w/ the new ones. That was a first for me, feeding them in the incubator, all are thriving w/ their broody mom still.

Back
Top Bottom