Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

Last two eggs hatched last night. She hatched 5/5 first time broody as well.

Now it's time for the oprington,hers will hatch this weekend. she's had 4 failed attempts at hatching in the past 2 years. Hoping she can get it right this time.

Aw congrats! I have a few broodies sitting on eggs, and I have a full incubator too. I am going to snea a bunch under my girls too. Fingers crossed!
:jumpy

If the other chickens cannot see her, than yes, you will have to reintegrate down the road.
Sounds like a plan. I thought my last broody had lost her mind. She got off the nest around hatch day, and when I looked, one of the eggs had pipped. I started to get nervous, but she was just taking one last 10 minute break. After that, she sat with them for several days, wth no problems. They do make you nervous though!

I agreee, it probably is hiding under Mama well. If it is stuck somewhere, usually you will hear it screaming, and the Mama will be disturbed as well, although she won't move. Sometimes you have to fully lift up the hen to count all the chicks. Hope you find it safe under Mama.

With some hens even lifting them does travel all the chicks. I can move my hens and after I put them down a tiny beak will appear from out of the feathers somewhere, so be aware that even if you pick up a broody, it may still be holding on to chicks under its wings

I knew my Buff Orpington momma was very likely ready to venture out of the nest box today, so I opened it up and sure enough, she was very happy to take her little brood out and about. One of the little ones I put under her is not doing well, so I brought it back inside to do whatever I can for it. She had three more eggs under her, so I brought those inside also and candled them. I only saw movement in one, but put all three in the incubator. Nothing yet from any of them. I have two more chicks in the incubator and one that has been working on hatching for hours, but is very slow going. It is all the way zipped, but not pushing out of the egg yet. Still breathing and not crying, so I am just waiting it out. After it finally makes it out, I will take it and the other two and sneak them under the silly Brahma. I have another egg that should start hatching any time (it had been under a broody hen long enough to start developing, so it has been incubating on its own), and I will sneak that one under her as well if it makes an early appearance.

This is from the back. I opened it to peek inside first, that is when momma jumped out. After momma got out I went inside and removed the maternity screen.

And this is the very moment momma decided to step out, while I was taking a picture.
I was going to post one of her and the babies all outside, but all I have are videos! I know I took pictures also, but they are not there. I think it is a glitch with my phone, or the camera function.

Last edited:
Newbie here! I was gifted 8 fertilized eggs. Some were already about 1.5 - 2 weeks in and some were newly hatched. I took them all and placed them under my two broody hens. They are all in the same house. They both have had eggs under them hatch and seem to be doing well all together. I have 4 chicks (9 days old, 6 days old, 3 days old and 2 days old.) we lost one in between. The 9 day old is already flittering around with newly sprouted feathers. We still have 4 eggs that are currently on day 14 in the incubation process. Do you think that the hens will be ok brooding the duration of time or should I get an incubator to encourage them to tend to the chicks and roam about? They have been broody for almost 2 months now. I know they are growing weary.

Yes I would keep the chicks I don't know what I would do if I had more though right now I have 30 female chickens and 5 males plus 15 Red broilers for meat (boy do they grow fast)
and 4 turkeys
I have plenty of space but the whole chicken thing is getting a bit out of hand since I work a full time job and take care of this place!
You sound a lot like me. I have 6 cornish cross chicks (meat birds), 3 turkeys, 3 roosters, 23 layers, 1 older meat bird (my husband doesn't want me to butcher her) 10 chicks in the brooder and 4 chicks with a broody momma and 2 eggs in the incubator! I also work full time and do all of the yard work, chicken work & most of the inside work as well. Once I see how many of the chicks are female, I will butcher some of my older layers. I know I have at least 1 rooster in the brooder. I don't want to let myself get overrun with chickens and not be able to take care of them correctly!

Newbie here! I was gifted 8 fertilized eggs. Some were already about 1.5 - 2 weeks in and some were newly hatched. I took them all and placed them under my two broody hens. They are all in the same house. They both have had eggs under them hatch and seem to be doing well all together. I have 4 chicks (9 days old, 6 days old, 3 days old and 2 days old.) we lost one in between. The 9 day old is already flittering around with newly sprouted feathers. We still have 4 eggs that are currently on day 14 in the incubation process. Do you think that the hens will be ok brooding the duration of time or should I get an incubator to encourage them to tend to the chicks and roam about? They have been broody for almost 2 months now. I know they are growing weary.
I would strongly consider putting the new eggs in the incubator. 2 months is a long time to be broody. It really takes a toll on the Momma. Plus she needs to be taking care of the chicks.

This little story is about my broody so I guess it fits in this thread.
hu.gif

Monday when I got home I decided to move a chicken into a cage inside my barn.So I grabbed this roll of paper to put on the floor(for poop) and a large wolf spider came running out and almost went up my arm. Im not overly afraid of them but this still made me jump.
I managed to shake him off before he got on me. Then I chased him away with the paper roll.I don't kill them as they eat bugs and theres really no use in it.
Well I went back to putting the paper on the floor and I guess I upset the spider messing with his home. Because he came back REALLY FAST ran across my right foot.
Im not sure if he jumped or what but suddenly he was on my left foot and ran half way up my naked hairy leg before I could react.
The spider still lives but if I find him again he will die!
barnie.gif

Last edited:
This little story is about my broody so I guess it fits in this thread.
hu.gif

Monday when I got home I decided to move a chicken into a cage inside my barn.So I grabbed this roll of paper to put on the floor(for poop) and a large wolf spider came running out and almost went up my arm. Im not overly afraid of them but this still made me jump.
I managed to shake him off before he got on me. Then I chased him away with the paper roll.I don't kill them as they eat bugs and theres really no use in it.
Well I went back to putting the paper on the floor and I guess I upset the spider messing with his home. Because he came back REALLY FAST ran across my right foot.
Im not sure if he jumped or what but suddenly he was on my left foot and ran half way up my naked hairy leg before I could react.
The spider still lives but if I find him again he will die!
barnie.gif

yuckyuck.gif

sounds like the spider was brooding her eggs too... you know how those broodies are

This little story is about my broody so I guess it fits in this thread.:confused:
Monday when I got home I decided to move a chicken into a cage inside my barn.So I grabbed this roll of paper to put on the floor(for poop) and a large wolf spider came running out and almost went up my arm. Im not overly afraid of them but this still made me jump. I managed to shake him off before he got on me. Then I chased him away with the paper roll.I don't kill them as they eat bugs and theres really no use in it. Well I went back to putting the paper on the floor and I guess I upset the spider messing with his home. Because he came back REALLY FAST ran across my right foot. Im not sure if he jumped or what but suddenly he was on my left foot and ran half way up my naked hairy leg before I could react. The spider still lives but if I find him again he will die!:barnie

Too funny!

Back
Top Bottom