Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

Since I didn't get a picture yesterday.

I do not know why they are all hanging around in the run around the feeder... it is empty. Although they were all scratching around before I walked in.

First time hatcher here. I set 7 eggs under my broody. Most of them were hatched as of yesterday morning (21 day mark). When will she get up and leave the nest box? She is camped out on the nest and I see a few chicks around and under her but I am dying to get a better view of the chicks. Also - I need to move her to her broody coop but I want to wait until she is up with the chicks. What is normal?

First time hatcher here. I set 7 eggs under my broody. Most of them were hatched as of yesterday morning (21 day mark). When will she get up and leave the nest box? She is camped out on the nest and I see a few chicks around and under her but I am dying to get a better view of the chicks. Also - I need to move her to her broody coop but I want to wait until she is up with the chicks. What is normal?
3 days or when all good ones hatch.. whichever comes first..... if she gets off and some eggs are still good they will usually die

3 days or when all good ones hatch.. whichever comes first..... if she gets off and some eggs are still good they will usually die
Of course as soon as I posted this I went out and she was off the nest with the chicks at the feeder and waterer. I will probably move her tonight. Thanks!

So it's day 23 of my first ever hatch. One chick hatched this morning but I have just discovered it dead and thrown out of the nest and my usually very calm and placid Silkie is having quite agitatedly​. She actually squacked and flapped at me then picked the chick up and threw it at me. Why did she do this? Do I leave her with the rest of the eggs or put them under another broody or just leave them and let nature take its course?

Back
Top Bottom