Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

I don’t wanna jump to conclusions, but the hen in the box this morning was definitely a puddle. Ohhhh, boy! :lol: I had three in the cage last year, but I can’t let three share eggs. I’d have to use a dog carrier or take the eggs, and incubate.

“If you come any closer, I will kill you!”
259FB3E8-0794-4237-8274-63378E68A972.jpeg
I got closer, and now she’s in a dog kennel. My hand will heal. :rant
These two... they were growling at me as soon as they saw me! :lol: I knew they wouldn’t come at me though.
12A1B3F2-2CCC-4D8D-BC83-4B9EE8315A31.jpeg

I do love how the SPR behave as broodies. They are definitely our easiest to get to cooperate with moves and other broodies. Something about the genetics of this line, I guess. We currently have 4 SPR , 2 half pencil mixes and 2 other rock mixes all sitting. There are eggs hatching in the incubator (some due this week, some next) for them. We will start grafting chicks probably tomorrow to the longest sitters and then next weeks to the others.

I've just checked our brooding hedemora. We can hear chirping under her. No eggshells, but there is definitely chickens hatching. I couldn't hear anything Yesterday.
Can one hear chirping before they poke a hole? It's been over 10 years since we have had hatching in our coop, so I can't remember...

Yes, they begin cheeping when they internally pip, which can be up to a day before hatch. Peeping is louder after external pip. Mama hen also begins more actively talking to the eggs about this time.
My dog, Mindy, always alerts me to the imminent hatch, she hears the faintest peeps and will sit with her nose in the nest waiting...

Yes, they begin cheeping when they internally pip, which can be up to a day before hatch. Peeping is louder after external pip. Mama hen also begins more actively talking to the eggs about this time.
My dog, Mindy, always alerts me to the imminent hatch, she hears the faintest peeps and will sit with her nose in the nest waiting...
Thank you so much🌷
She is talking to them and I think it sounds like some of them have pipped. I first thought it was the birds outside the window, it was so loud.

Back
Top Bottom