Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

So I’ve had my broody in a dog crate inside the chicken coop. I have one other hen (my flock queen) who would go and sit on the eggs when I got the broody off the nest and wouldn’t let the broody back on. So I’ve been getting the broody out and making sure she eats/drinks, etc. I candled today (day 14) and chucked a few that weren’t developing, so I’m down to 8 eggs. Do I put the broody on lock down once we get to day 19, or do I keep getting her off the nest once a day?
Lock down

When do I let her out then? Once I’m sure no one else is going to hatch on day 22 or 23?
They will want out when the chicks get active. usually about 3days after they hatch they are hungry. They have absorbed yolk they use for about 3 days before they start eating.
I have had an egg hatch 4 days late in the incubator.

So I’ve had my broody in a dog crate inside the chicken coop. I have one other hen (my flock queen) who would go and sit on the eggs when I got the broody off the nest and wouldn’t let the broody back on. So I’ve been getting the broody out and making sure she eats/drinks, etc. I candled today (day 14) and chucked a few that weren’t developing, so I’m down to 8 eggs. Do I put the broody on lock down once we get to day 19, or do I keep getting her off the nest once a day?
Yes I would like to know this also - my Henny-Penny is coming to day 18 and she is sitting on some Silkie eggs (rooster is a regular old barnyard mix kinda guy ;) ), so I am expecting them to hatch early - I am told the bantams hatch as early as 19 days....

But I have been getting Henny off her nest daily to eat/poop/fluff in the horse stall shavings, should I just let her be on day 18?

Yes I would like to know this also - my Henny-Penny is coming to day 18 and she is sitting on some Silkie eggs (rooster is a regular old barnyard mix kinda guy ;) ), so I am expecting them to hatch early - I am told the bantams hatch as early as 19 days....

But I have been getting Henny off her nest daily to eat/poop/fluff in the horse stall shavings, should I just let her be on day 18?
Leave her be.

Leave her be.
UPDATE: Well Henny-Penny has been doing great, I candled eggs last Friday (day 14) and saw movement in each egg (she has 4 under her: 2 from Silkies, 2 from Americana), I candled the eggs on day 18 but all I could really see was air spaces, the rest of the eggs were dark. Yesterday when Henny was off the nest I used my cell phone light to check the eggs, I didn't pick them up - I just shone the light beside the eggs, one I say LOTS of movement, the others had large air space but rest of egg really dark.

This morning I heard cheeping and just lifted Henny a bit to see if one hatched - nope all eggs intact, but definite cheeping. I couldn't tell from which egg and I didn't want to disturb the hen too much so I left her be.

How long from cheeping to pipping/hatching?

UPDATE: Well Henny-Penny has been doing great, I candled eggs last Friday (day 14) and saw movement in each egg (she has 4 under her: 2 from Silkies, 2 from Americana), I candled the eggs on day 18 but all I could really see was air spaces, the rest of the eggs were dark. Yesterday when Henny was off the nest I used my cell phone light to check the eggs, I didn't pick them up - I just shone the light beside the eggs, one I say LOTS of movement, the others had large air space but rest of egg really dark.

This morning I heard cheeping and just lifted Henny a bit to see if one hatched - nope all eggs intact, but definite cheeping. I couldn't tell from which egg and I didn't want to disturb the hen too much so I left her be.

How long from cheeping to pipping/hatching?
Usually within a couple days from cheep to out. Some in hours

I just did a quick check as I hear some really loud chirping from multiple sources, I can't believe how loud they are in those eggs! I didn't want to move Henny too much but no hatchlings yet, didn't want to check for pipping as when I moved Henny the eggs rolled a bit, which freaked me out as read not to move them right now. Then someone reminded me that in an incubator the eggs get rolled around by hatched chicks.... oi boy. At least Henny seems to be taking this in stride (knock on wood!). She is more relaxed then I am that is for sure ha! I need one of those bore scope cameras that I can slip under the hen to take a peak hahahaha.

Continued to hear loud cheeping, checked and saw 2 chicks, half dried. Hauled out the old shells - hope that was ok.

While at it I checked two remaining eggs, both were pipped.

Seems things happen fast sometimes!

Henny seems very good, hauled the chicks under her fluffed up her feathers and pretty much told me to get lost.

Attachments

• IMG_20211014_160902.jpg
    IMG_20211014_160902.jpg
    786.8 KB · Views: 1
I just did a quick check as I hear some really loud chirping from multiple sources, I can't believe how loud they are in those eggs! I didn't want to move Henny too much but no hatchlings yet, didn't want to check for pipping as when I moved Henny the eggs rolled a bit, which freaked me out as read not to move them right now. Then someone reminded me that in an incubator the eggs get rolled around by hatched chicks.... oi boy. At least Henny seems to be taking this in stride (knock on wood!). She is more relaxed then I am that is for sure ha! I need one of those bore scope cameras that I can slip under the hen to take a peak hahahaha.
They get louder when they have pipped. I got woke up one night by the cheep over the noise of the air cleaner. The incubator is in a different bedroom with the bathroom in-between. :barnie two had pipped, they were out by morning.
I had been hearing cheeps for over a day

Back
Top Bottom