Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

I think 6 eggs is a nice first time amount for your gal. I threw 4 eggs under my silkie Cochin X which she hatched out successfully.

The chicks are now 5.5 weeks old and thriving, I kept her with the 'herd' through it all, but ensuring I had kept them separated at night. This morning though I see they had flown over the pen wall and were all mingling 😊. So tonight I will just leave them free in the hen house.

Other than the rooster harrassing mama everything has gone really well, and the chicks are just part of the crew and working out where they stand 🤗. The rooster is indifferent to the chicks and just ignores them.

Keep us updated on your gal!
That sounds like a lovely success story! I'm going to try and take a low key approach and let Ginny do the work. They will be Christmas chicks and we are going away for a few days. I'm getting someone to keep an eye on the chooks whilst we're gone. So, really, what will be - will be.
I really only want two or three more hens and the man selling me the eggs will take back the inevitable boys.
I've asked for a couple of Orpingtons, a couple of Sussex and a couple of Wyandotte eggs but it depends what he's got.

That sounds like a lovely success story! I'm going to try and take a low key approach and let Ginny do the work. They will be Christmas chicks and we are going away for a few days. I'm getting someone to keep an eye on the chooks whilst we're gone. So, really, what will be - will be.
I really only want two or three more hens and the man selling me the eggs will take back the inevitable boys.
I've asked for a couple of Orpingtons, a couple of Sussex and a couple of Wyandotte eggs but it depends what he's got.
Sounds awesome! Well make sure u keep us posted with your egg journey 😄 I look forward to seeing your success.
This is Henny Penny and her 4 chicks - at 5 weeks they nearly fit under her!

Attachments

• IMG_20211116_161400.jpg
    IMG_20211116_161400.jpg
    972.2 KB · Views: 5
I know there isn't a way to *make* hens go broody. But if I want to see if any will go broody is the best way to set up a nest with a bunch of fake eggs/golf balls and just see if one starts setting the nest?

I know there isn't a way to *make* hens go broody. But if I want to see if any will go broody is the best way to set up a nest with a bunch of fake eggs/golf balls and just see if one starts setting the nest?
I also think it's possible but rather than state you can make a hen go broody, I think it is more correct to state you can encourage a hen to go broody.:)

Back
Top Bottom