Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

Just a quick update on our Ginny. She's still sitting strong. The kids and I went out there on Friday night (Day 10) and tried candling her eggs with my mobile phone light, as there are a couple that may be low fertility. We took one that was obvious and I buried it in the garden and planted a hellebore seedling on top of it! So she is now down to 7 eggs. There were a couple of others that I was unsure off that we put back under her. She was quite ok with us lifting her off the nest and settling her back down so I think we could do the same again either tonight (day 14) or tomorrow. Then the plan is to leave her to it.
IMG_20211207_080613.jpg

Just a quick update on our Ginny. She's still sitting strong. The kids and I went out there on Friday night (Day 10) and tried candling her eggs with my mobile phone light, as there are a couple that may be low fertility. We took one that was obvious and I buried it in the garden and planted a hellebore seedling on top of it! So she is now down to 7 eggs. There were a couple of others that I was unsure off that we put back under her. She was quite ok with us lifting her off the nest and settling her back down so I think we could do the same again either tonight (day 14) or tomorrow. Then the plan is to leave her to it.View attachment 2920404
Can't wait to see what she hatched out!

That's not too bad. If the outdoor temps are cold or she took some breaks, there could be a delay. 21 days is an estimate.

Is Ginny "pecky"? If you're really concerned, you could reach under and feel an egg for pips or briefly pull one out at night to candle. (But if she likes to peck at your hand, then she may accidently peck the egg or cause you to drop it. )

If you're getting to day 25 or so and still no action, then I'd candle the eggs to see what's going on.

If she's holding tight on the nest I'd guess the hatch is going on under her. She's keeping the temp and humidity under control.

That's not too bad. If the outdoor temps are cold or she took some breaks, there could be a delay. 21 days is an estimate.

Is Ginny "pecky"? If you're really concerned, you could reach under and feel an egg for pips or briefly pull one out at night to candle. (But if she likes to peck at your hand, then she may accidently peck the egg or cause you to drop it. )

If you're getting to day 25 or so and still no action, then I'd candle the eggs to see what's going on.
Thank you for the reassurance. Actually, our weather has been pretty atrocious for this time of year. We've had a lot of rain in the past week or so.
1639516940452.png

Today is finally sunny but it is now really humid.
Ginny has been a pretty dedicated mum and has only got off the nest very briefly and occasionally and not in the last 3 days.
She is a fairly calm bird so potentially I could have a feel underneath her...

Back
Top Bottom