Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

raising chicks has by and large been bred out of them over centuries
production breeds are a product of the last century, not more, and other breeds retain broodiness. For example, I have a Welsummer, a Norfolk Grey, an Araucana and a Penedesenca that have all brooded and raised clutches of chicks.

I have used a broody hen for years. BUT never a full-sized bird. raising chicks has by and large been bred out of them over centuries. I USE A BANTAM. they will not cursh the eggs with their weight-provide heat, water, food, and protection. I also put live chicks under a broody bantam with 90% success. I do it at night.
While I agree that bantams are often rock star broodies I have an entire flock of large fowl girls who are determined to change people's minds that discount the big girls! Earlier this week on one of the nicer days...
20230227_110111.jpg

OK, I need yalls broody magicians help. Long story short, summer of 2021 I bought nine 1 month old pullets of a (supposedly) broody breed. Last year, no broodies at all. So, were they a little young last year? Do you think my chances of getting broodies this year are higher, since they're almost 2 years old now?

OK, I need yalls broody magicians help. Long story short, summer of 2021 I bought nine 1 month old pullets of a (supposedly) broody breed. Last year, no broodies at all. So, were they a little young last year? Do you think my chances of getting broodies this year are higher, since they're almost 2 years old now?
I Have found some breeds claimed to be broody will decide to sit after they are more mature, so hope is not lost. Your best bet for getting dependable broodies is to find someone who lives in your area with a broody flock and buy a few birds from them. Then you can keep chicks you know we're from hens who brooded for you and you will end up with a broody flock of your own. But be careful what you wish for... I did this and now have a broody crazy flock (all large fowl) and frequently have 5 to 10 broody at one time.. last spring we had over 20 either sitting or carting around chicks from 3 days to 5 weeks old all at the same time!

I've found broodiness to be an individual thing rather than a breed (though I don't have silkies, which are notorious for it). For all sorts of reasons your pullets may have felt not ready last year, and I'd just leave some eggs in the nest if you want to encourage it this year.

Did that last year (getting birds from a broody flock that is), well tried to at least. The bird was completely wild, escaped her pen, then the property, and then someone stole her. Plus, she looked like this

Attachments

• 20220718_140655_1.jpg
    20220718_140655_1.jpg
    708.7 KB · Views: 6
I've found broodiness to be an individual thing rather than a breed (though I don't have silkies, which are notorious for it). For all sorts of reasons your pullets may have felt not ready last year, and I'd just leave some eggs in the nest if you want to encourage it this year.

OK so I'm definitely going to leave some eggs for them this year! Also, side question, some people here support the idea that a bird that shows broody characteristics in their everyday life, is going to go broody at least once in their life. Is this true? I personally think it's most likely dumb wives tale, Greece is abundant in those, but hey I've never had broodies, so I might be wrong. Basically some of the characteristics they say show broody potential are: screaming when on the nest, puffing up and screaming while sleeping in the roost, and some others but I didn't pay much attention😅 all of which my birds do and did last year too

I have some Spitzhaubens, Orpingtons, Ameraucanas and Phoenix. Spitzhauben are not supposed to go broody and the others are a kinda in between. It was one of the Spitzhaubens that went broody.

OK so I'm definitely going to leave some eggs for them this year! Also, side question, some people here support the idea that a bird that shows broody characteristics in their everyday life, is going to go broody at least once in their life. Is this true? I personally think it's most likely dumb wives tale, Greece is abundant in those, but hey I've never had broodies, so I might be wrong. Basically some of the characteristics they say show broody potential are: screaming when on the nest, puffing up and screaming while sleeping in the roost, and some others but I didn't pay much attention😅 all of which my birds do and did last year too
None of my hens scream on the nest (thankfully!), while some growl and inflate when broody but not otherwise, so they look like myths to me.

Back
Top Bottom