Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

Ok, so I am new at hatching eggs. I have 3 broody hens and would like to let them set, how can I hold the eggs until I have 6 or 8 to put under them so they will hatch at the same time? I let them set on lots of eggs and only 1 chick has hatched. This morning I went out and there was 1 perfectly formed chick in the nest dead
sad.png
My successful hatch was last Friday and no more since then until this morning's disaster. This info is probably on this thread somewhere but after searching multiple pages I didn't see it. My roo is a Golden Comet and my hens are BA, RIR and BO.

Quote:
Hers a link about keeping eggs till ready to let your hens set. I'm sorry you lost the little chick, Are your broodys in the same nest? if so the chick could have gotten smashed, how is your other chick doing? Mama taking care of it? https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=354509 this is about quail eggs but I have seen it's the same for chickens too.

Last edited:
There were 2 broodys on the same nest but after the first chick hatched one of the BA hens hopped off the nest to take care of the lone chick, I moved them to a separate cage as she was very anxious. They are doing well. The nest isn't exactly pristine from having the 2 hens crowded in there. I am building two 2x2 box with wire cages attached and moving the other 2 to it with the eggs I've been holding. I was thinking I read somewhere that eggs could be held in the refrigerator, is that true? Thanks for responding!

Hi everyone,
Just wanted to give a big THANKS to everyone on this thread. Our little flock of 3 Easter Egger hens and a Welsummer rooster is 1 year old now. One of the little EE hens, Sophia, decided to go broody.

We put 10 fresh eggs under her on July 23rd and she has been dutifully sitting on them. I haven't separated her from the rest of the flock, and so far it's worked out fine. Every now and again one of the girls will sneak an egg in her nest, but mostly they've been laying in the nest box next to her. We've been stealing the sneaky eggs back.

By my calculations, they should start hatching this Saturday, Aug. 13th. This morning I found that she had very intentionally removed three of the eggs from the nest into a neat little cluster about two feet away from her - as if to say "Not these eggs, thankyouverymuch". I figured she knew what she was doing and disposed of them for her.

I'm hoping once the chicks are born everyone will be able to co-exist in the coop. She is the top hen, and our rooster's favorite girl. I've read here on the boards that Welsummer roosters are supposed to be great dads, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Thanks again for all the great advice that you've all collected here. I'll be sure to post pictures of the chicks if/when they hatch.

Ya'll are fabulous!

We decided to give one of our broody hens a silkie egg , never did i think it would be fertile since we have not had any good luck with our girly rooster. But behold ,
ya.gif
we candled the egg with a regular flashlight with the rooms lights on , and from what i have read i am pretty sure its fertile.. we are on day 16 and its 3/4 black.
Even though this wasnt a planned pregnancy
lol.png
we couldnt be more excited. our very first hatch. Millie , the broody frizzle , will be just as delighted , as she has been broody for a long time on and off.

fl.gif
Tuesdays day 21
jumpy.gif

Quote:
It happens but not very often I don't think. Thats why you need to be observant of mama and chicks for a couple of days at least after hatch. I had it happen once, but I will still let my hens sit and hatch. I know now something was wrong with both chicks though.

I've had it happen twice. A broody killed a chick. Yet raised the rest of her brood. I figure mama knows when something is wrong.

About 2 weeks ago, when 2 of my broodys hatched a combined 11 chicks 2 days apart, on day 1, one of the blue Sumatra chicks looked like it had splayed legs, and mama left it in the nest. The little one was trying to get to her, and I was afraid it would get injured or lost, so I put it in a brooder. Well mama would NOT bring her others to bed until I returned her other chick. So I gave it back to her. I planned on putting this little chick down. Well the next day it was walking, but it's right foot was facing BACKWARDS. BUT the little one was getting around ok. By day 4, the chick was perfectly normal. So this is my longwinded way of saying mama hens know A LOT more about chicken and being chickens than we ever will. This is the same broody that killed a chick, but she let this one live. So she HAD to know it was going to be ok, and that the other one was not going to be.

Quote:
It happens but not very often I don't think. Thats why you need to be observant of mama and chicks for a couple of days at least after hatch. I had it happen once, but I will still let my hens sit and hatch. I know now something was wrong with both chicks though.

I've had it happen twice. A broody killed a chick. Yet raised the rest of her brood. I figure mama knows when something is wrong.

About 2 weeks ago, when 2 of my broodys hatched a combined 11 chicks 2 days apart, on day 1, one of the blue Sumatra chicks looked like it had splayed legs, and mama left it in the nest. The little one was trying to get to her, and I was afraid it would get injured or lost, so I put it in a brooder. Well mama would NOT bring her others to bed until I returned her other chick. So I gave it back to her. I planned on putting this little chick down. Well the next day it was walking, but it's right foot was facing BACKWARDS. BUT the little one was getting around ok. By day 4, the chick was perfectly normal. So this is my longwinded way of saying mama hens know A LOT more about chicken and being chickens than we ever will. This is the same broody that killed a chick, but she let this one live. So she HAD to know it was going to be ok, and that the other one was not going to be.

Hey stony, we have missed your imput, Congrats on the hatch, wow 11!!
ep.gif

Quote:

Hey stony, we have missed your imput, Congrats on the hatch, wow 11!!
ep.gif

I've been swamped with work and getting in the house late. So I have just been reading...not posting.

Yes 11...lol. Blue "mama" Sumatra, had her 2nd brood of the year. And my 1st broody of the year, a Black Sumatra had her 2nd brood of the year. "Mama" had 4 blues this time, and 3 blacks. Well she had 5 blues, but killed one as soon as it hatched. My girls have been very busy this year....
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom