Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

Yesterday picked up 3 americanas and 1 silverlaced wynendotte. I gave them to Laura as soon as we got home (I know I should have waited until dark, but I was too excited). She started fussing and kicking, oh it was crazy. but she settled down and took each and every one under her. Everyone passed a good night and when I came home I let them all out of the cage. Laura fluffed her wings out and made a run at the dog, but otherwise it was very smooth. She even took them out of the coop. When I went to tuck them in a few hours ago they were all hiding under her neer the coop door. I snapped a few pics, on the off chance some of you might have voyeristic tendancies, haha!

This is how I found them, she's hiding all 5:

Congrats Niss, now don't forget pics.

Yesterday picked up 3 americanas and 1 silverlaced wynendotte. I gave them to Laura as soon as we got home (I know I should have waited until dark, but I was too excited). She started fussing and kicking, oh it was crazy. but she settled down and took each and every one under her. Everyone passed a good night and when I came home I let them all out of the cage. Laura fluffed her wings out and made a run at the dog, but otherwise it was very smooth. She even took them out of the coop. When I went to tuck them in a few hours ago they were all hiding under her neer the coop door. I snapped a few pics, on the off chance some of you might have voyeristic tendancies, haha!

This is how I found them, she's hiding all 5:

Awww.... I might wanna try that sometime! Was Laura broody before you put the chicks under her?

Awww.... I might wanna try that sometime! Was Laura broody before you put the chicks under her?

Thanks! Yes, she sat and hatched the yellow cochin Tuesday night, then Thursday night I gave her 4 more. I put them back to bed in the cage, but i would love to move broody #2 in to it to protect her eggs...we'll see where she wants them to sleep tomorrow.

I have a first time broody hen, shes in the lowest part of the nest boxes in the darkest corner. She fights off anything that come near her without even moving!.

I am new to the whole broody hen thing or hatching anything at that.

When(if) they hatch am I supposed to take them from her? We have no where to separate her and the chicks, but I have a strickly chickly cage (that's what I named it lol)

Also won't she be upset if some don't hatch? I know that a few aren't fertile because two of them are guinea eggs and we don't have a male guinea. Shes laying on at least one of all the other chicken's eggs.

I would just like some advice.

I have a first time broody hen, shes in the lowest part of the nest boxes in the darkest corner. She fights off anything that come near her without even moving!.

I am new to the whole broody hen thing or hatching anything at that.

When(if) they hatch am I supposed to take them from her? We have no where to separate her and the chicks, but I have a strickly chickly cage (that's what I named it lol)

Also won't she be upset if some don't hatch? I know that a few aren't fertile because two of them are guinea eggs and we don't have a male guinea. Shes laying on at least one of all the other chicken's eggs.

I would just like some advice.
I wouldn't take them from her after they hatch. I haven't done it myself, but there are others who let their hens raise the babies with the flock (that is my goal if I ever get a broody). The mama protects them, and they are already integrated that way. I don't know if she'll realize that some didn't hatch. They focus on the ones that do. Sometimes a hen will kick an infertile or non-developing egg out of the nest herself. They seem to know. Just sit back and let her do her thing.

I wouldn't take them from her after they hatch. I haven't done it myself, but there are others who let their hens raise the babies with the flock (that is my goal if I ever get a broody). The mama protects them, and they are already integrated that way. I don't know if she'll realize that some didn't hatch. They focus on the ones that do. Sometimes a hen will kick an infertile or non-developing egg out of the nest herself. They seem to know. Just sit back and let her do her thing.

Excellent advise!
thumbsup.gif

Yes - the less you can interfere, the better for the broody and chicks.

how long can a broody be off the nest without a problem? the eggs weren't cold, but just wondering- i take her off her nest for a food and poop break

Back
Top Bottom