Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

Quote:

No, no, that will never work. What you need to do is head to the store and get you some more babies to put under broody 1. If broody 2 takes these as well, you just keep adding more chicks until everyone is satisfied.
smile.png

[/quote I have 14 left in brooder if need be I will put 4 more with them they are trying to fit in one box so they can both sit on the chicks it is to funny

Quote:

No, no, that will never work. What you need to do is head to the store and get you some more babies to put under broody 1. If broody 2 takes these as well, you just keep adding more chicks until everyone is satisfied.
smile.png

[/quote I have 14 left in brooder if need be I will put 4 more with them they are trying to fit in one box so they can both sit on the chicks it is to funny
Okay now I have to demand a pic! I want to see those two broodies tusseling over those silkie chicks.. Picture please :)

Thanks for the advice everyone! DH and I talked about it tonight, and for now the plan is to move her to the chicken tractor, probably tomorrow night as we have to make some modifications to it for a nest box area, and see if she continues to set. If she does, then the current plan is to put the new chicks that are due to hatch this weekend under her and let her brood them. I'm a little disappointed as I was starting to get excited about the idea of letting her set and hatch eggs herself, but with 17 chicks already on the ground here and possibly as many as 9 more on the way we don't really need any more chicks! Of course, if something goes wrong with the eggs due to hatch this weekend and none of them hatch I'm sure we'll be looking to buy hatching eggs again.

OKay I have my first broody hen ever!!! My Bantam frizzle cochin has decided after 6 weeks of laying thought that enough is enough and she wants to be a teenage mom.... okay a 8 month old mom ..... Of course she went broody a few weeks after my rooster was rehomed
he.gif
and my other eggs went into lockdown last night.... I figured if I put them under her she would think she had super hatching powers
lau.gif
So they are in the incubator.....

As this is my first broody EVER I have a few questions and this thread is SO LONG .... I have tried to read through a bunch of it, but alas I need some hand holding.... How many eggs can fit under my bantam??? She is of course in the favorite nest box and being bullied by the other hens when they want to get in and lay... Evident in her missing neck feathers... I read about moving hens to another nest area... a safe nest.... well I don't really have one. My coop is only 6x4 w/ 2 bantams and 2 LF ..... I do have a rabbit hutch in the run.... Even though my coop is secure, I worry that rats or some other critter might figure out how to get in there ..... hmmmmm If I do give her eggs do I need to move her somewhere before the chicks hatch to protect them from the other hens???

Any and all guidance is much appreciated!!!

Day 15
Well, this morning I walked out to check on everyone and I found she was covered in yolk, along with all the other eggs and her nesting box...... Is it okay the other eggs have yolk on them now? I cleaned out her box completely but will it harm the eggs? Also, she is in a high nesting box so we will be moving her probably tomorrow and getting her broody box set up for her last week. We've got about 9 confirmed that are more in likely going to hatch ;) What are your suggestions for her broody box (Just a momentary place for her and her chickaroos to be so our roos don't bother them) We've only had a few mother raised chicks so I'm not really sure how to do this. Last time in our old coop the boxes were on the ground and only had 1 roo :/ Any suggestions.

At this point leaving the egg on the eggs is more likely to kill the chicks by suffocating them or infecting them with bacteria. I'd take a bucket of very warm water w/ a couple of drops of antibacterial soap out and wash them and pat them dry and give them back to her in a clean nest.

Yeah - congrats on the broody. Since she's a 1st timer I would put no more then 6 under her and see how she does with that number. I put 8 under Smokey who is a rather dainty EE and she hatched 3 of them in the late winter.

Yes, moving her and separating her will help keep her from getting pecked on and others laying in her nest. But it's optional. You can just mark her eggs and then remove the ones that aren't marked daily. As far as moving her afer the chicks hatch - up to you. If they aren't going to fall out of a nest - leave them with her. She will protect them with her life.

Keep us updated and post pics when they hatch please!

OKay I have my first broody hen ever!!! My Bantam frizzle cochin has decided after 6 weeks of laying thought that enough is enough and she wants to be a teenage mom.... okay a 8 month old mom ..... Of course she went broody a few weeks after my rooster was rehomed
he.gif
and my other eggs went into lockdown last night.... I figured if I put them under her she would think she had super hatching powers
lau.gif
So they are in the incubator.....

As this is my first broody EVER I have a few questions and this thread is SO LONG .... I have tried to read through a bunch of it, but alas I need some hand holding.... How many eggs can fit under my bantam??? She is of course in the favorite nest box and being bullied by the other hens when they want to get in and lay... Evident in her missing neck feathers... I read about moving hens to another nest area... a safe nest.... well I don't really have one. My coop is only 6x4 w/ 2 bantams and 2 LF ..... I do have a rabbit hutch in the run.... Even though my coop is secure, I worry that rats or some other critter might figure out how to get in there ..... hmmmmm If I do give her eggs do I need to move her somewhere before the chicks hatch to protect them from the other hens???

Any and all guidance is much appreciated!!!

Well looks like bobbieschicks has been keeping everyone in good info since the rest of us have not been here much to help. I have a Muscovy duck hatching eggs and it's been a little nerve wracking since they aren't actually due to hatch until Sunday,but 2 have already hatched and she is still sitting on 5 eggs. So now will she contniue to sit till the rest hatch? She is still there this morning and my those ducklings are adorable what I can see of them. She gives me that you come any closer and your dead meat Look. So I am trying not to disturb her much. and my bruised hands can give testimony to the fact she means what she looks like. LOL but anyway everything is under control on here and hopefully here too. lol Wishing everyone hatching chicks no matter what species all the best and keep those pics coming they sure do brighten our day!!
2665.png

_MG_6443.jpg
My broody section - I am really itching to let them outside.. The babies are just so tiny.. My other chicks were not out with the big ones until week 4 :/ These barred rocks are 2 weeks old now.
_MG_6239.jpg
Here they were at a few days old :love

_MG_6443.jpg

My broody section - I am really itching to let them outside.. The babies are just so tiny.. My other chicks were not out with the big ones until week 4
hmm.png

These barred rocks are 2 weeks old now.
_MG_6239.jpg

Here they were at a few days old
love.gif
My bantam cochin brought her little ones out at 1 week old they are 2 weeks today and they are doing great, mama is not going to let anyone mess with her babies. I haven't seen anyone try for that matter. even my 2 5 week olds who are now on their own don't get picked on. Congrats on your hatch by the way i must have missed it somewhere.

Yeah! Glad to see you back
thumbsup.gif
glad also that the ducklings are hatching - uh, where's the pic? LOL!

Well looks like bobbieschicks has been keeping everyone in good info since the rest of us have not been here much to help. I have a Muscovy duck hatching eggs and it's been a little nerve wracking since they aren't actually due to hatch until Sunday,but 2 have already hatched and she is still sitting on 5 eggs. So now will she contniue to sit till the rest hatch? She is still there this morning and my those ducklings are adorable what I can see of them. She gives me that you come any closer and your dead meat Look. So I am trying not to disturb her much. and my bruised hands can give testimony to the fact she means what she looks like. LOL but anyway everything is under control on here and hopefully here too. lol Wishing everyone hatching chicks no matter what species all the best and keep those pics coming they sure do brighten our day!!
2665.png

Back
Top Bottom