Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

all the babies with their mom is to cute our broody 1 is doing good with her 6 babies hope to get a pic tonight did not want to bother them to much after i moved them to the empty coop

Well, we're on day 15 now ^^ Just candled last night and it looks like 9/11 are growing. This morning we cleaned out the entire coop (Took a few hours) and she was very mad about that lol. Now we came back and she was off them. Its been about an hour that she's been off and it is fairly warm (75) the coop is much warmer although I felt the eggs and they're starting to cool off :/ Should I be worried? Actually I am worried..... I've never had a broody Polish before and I don't want her to quit now.

I have a silly question. I have a broody hen, my little bantam dark brahma/bantam cochin cross. She is only 8 months old & this is already her second time going broody. I don't want to hatch out any of our eggs right now (our chickens are not very meaty--they're mostly WFBS), so I snagged a couple of turkey eggs from Linda. Will turkey eggs hatch under a broody chicken? Inquiring minds want to know.

I have a silly question. I have a broody hen, my little bantam dark brahma/bantam cochin cross. She is only 8 months old & this is already her second time going broody. I don't want to hatch out any of our eggs right now (our chickens are not very meaty--they're mostly WFBS), so I snagged a couple of turkey eggs from Linda. Will turkey eggs hatch under a broody chicken? Inquiring minds want to know.

I know they can hatch duck eggs and other poultry - I know a family who is trying it, it sounds like it is working.

Did I screw up?
sad.png

So here's the situation: Today is day 22 for my broody and 7 purchased eggs. Yesterday I was really depressed because I didn't see any evidence of chicks. Our setup is a miniature coop/run (just big enough for a mama hen and chicks) that DH built exactly like our larger tractor-style, before I found out that it should be level with the ground, not elevated.

This afternoon, I looked out at the coop (for the 1000th time) only now, instead of being camped on her nest inside, Ms. Broody is squatting in her little run, underneath the ramp. It turns out that she had 5 chicks hatch today, but (apparently) once out of the coop she couldn't see how to get them back up the ramp, which wouldn't have been that big a deal except that a big thunderstorm was rolling in, just as I was running down there. I cleaned out the eggshell mess and the two remaining, unhatched eggs that I assumed were dead since she'd wandered away from them, and managed to get her and the chicks back inside (dropped one-- oops-- that I didn't know was there, she was holding it so when I picked her up, chick fell. I hope it's OK). Once I was back inside, though, I wondered about those two eggs, and when the downpour stopped, I went back down to the yard, put chick feed and water in the coop with them, and looked at the eggs, and ONE WAS HATCHING. Like right then. So I shrieked and tried to shove both the eggs back under Ms. Broody.

So, did I kill a perfectly good, viable already-hatching egg (or two) by removing them from the coop and leaving them out in the rain for 1/2 an hour? Or might they still be OK?

Did I screw up?
sad.png

So here's the situation: Today is day 22 for my broody and 7 purchased eggs. Yesterday I was really depressed because I didn't see any evidence of chicks. Our setup is a miniature coop/run (just big enough for a mama hen and chicks) that DH built exactly like our larger tractor-style, before I found out that it should be level with the ground, not elevated.

This afternoon, I looked out at the coop (for the 1000th time) only now, instead of being camped on her nest inside, Ms. Broody is squatting in her little run, underneath the ramp. It turns out that she had 5 chicks hatch today, but (apparently) once out of the coop she couldn't see how to get them back up the ramp, which wouldn't have been that big a deal except that a big thunderstorm was rolling in, just as I was running down there. I cleaned out the eggshell mess and the two remaining, unhatched eggs that I assumed were dead since she'd wandered away from them, and managed to get her and the chicks back inside (dropped one-- oops-- that I didn't know was there, she was holding it so when I picked her up, chick fell. I hope it's OK). Once I was back inside, though, I wondered about those two eggs, and when the downpour stopped, I went back down to the yard, put chick feed and water in the coop with them, and looked at the eggs, and ONE WAS HATCHING. Like right then. So I shrieked and tried to shove both the eggs back under Ms. Broody.

So, did I kill a perfectly good, viable already-hatching egg (or two) by removing them from the coop and leaving them out in the rain for 1/2 an hour? Or might they still be OK?

if it was going to hatch it still will. I have seen broody eggs hatch while the broody is away from the nest feeding her babies

Do they fit under her? she will almost certainly try as long as they fit. My only concern would be whether she can manage to turn them. I have 3 turkey eggs and 4 DelawareX eggs under a cochin right now, I'll move the turkeys to the bator when the chicks start to hatch. I have an order for acouple turkeys but no bator room.
tongue.png

Congrats to all with new fuzzies
jumpy.gif
. The pics are soo cute !!
Remember that chickens have been doing this way before we were around to help. When we notice a girl going broody and we want to have her sit we give her a couple of ceramic eggs, if she stays on them for 2 days we move her to a broody pen. We use a large wire dog crate with a nice nest box and hay, covered with shade cloth so they get privacy but plenty of cool air. Food and water at one end. We shut her in so she is left alone, but can still be in the hen house so when the chicks hatch she can go out into the flock with them at about 3 days. We have only had one hen aggressive to the chicks, we moved her. The crate can be placed outside next to the run if you don't have room inside.
We try not to bother the broody except to candle at about 10 days at night. They WILL come off to eat and drink on their own, seriously. We do any cleaning at night in low light as well.

Well, we're on day 15 now ^^ Just candled last night and it looks like 9/11 are growing. This morning we cleaned out the entire coop (Took a few hours) and she was very mad about that lol. Now we came back and she was off them. Its been about an hour that she's been off and it is fairly warm (75) the coop is much warmer although I felt the eggs and they're starting to cool off :/ Should I be worried? Actually I am worried..... I've never had a broody Polish before and I don't want her to quit now.
I'm sure she'll te back on them when she's ready. It's almost time for chicks!

I haven't tried it, but why wouldn't it work?

Back
Top Bottom