Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

My first time broody has 2 eggs pipped and chirping.
wee.gif

Just went out to do a night-time check on the girls, and Gloria's back on the nest
fl.gif
She was off it all day, so it's hard to say if she's setting again or if she's just sitting in the nest for the night because it happens to be the highest spot in the broody pen. If she stays on the nest tomorrow, I'll slip the newly hatched chicks under her tomorrow night. We're up to 4 so far, with a 5th that's been zipped all day. The two I was worried about earlier look fine now, so maybe it was just newborn uglies that I was seeing.

Just went out to do a night-time check on the girls, and Gloria's back on the nest
fl.gif
She was off it all day, so it's hard to say if she's setting again or if she's just sitting in the nest for the night because it happens to be the highest spot in the broody pen. If she stays on the nest tomorrow, I'll slip the newly hatched chicks under her tomorrow night. We're up to 4 so far, with a 5th that's been zipped all day. The two I was worried about earlier look fine now, so maybe it was just newborn uglies that I was seeing.
Good, hope she stays that way for you. Glad news about the babies!

I have had chicks from Broody's and from the bater and I think it is really sweet watching the broody momma with the chicks. I tried to reward mine once with meal worms and she selected one for each chick and fed them but would not take any for herself. Each time too, she was great when I first introduced them to the flock, in keeping them with her and championed them until the switch was switched and she forgot she was the momma but by then the chicks were established into the flock. The broody raised chicks though are more ferel and do not let me hold them ever, the chicks I raised were more open to being held as adults. I work so many hours now though it just makes more sense to let the broody momma do the raising and I can admire them from afar.
Caroline

I have had chicks from Broody's and from the bater and I think it is really sweet watching the broody momma with the chicks. I tried to reward mine once with meal worms and she selected one for each chick and fed them but would not take any for herself. Each time too, she was great when I first introduced them to the flock, in keeping them with her and championed them until the switch was switched and she forgot she was the momma but by then the chicks were established into the flock. The broody raised chicks though are more ferel and do not let me hold them ever, the chicks I raised were more open to being held as adults. I work so many hours now though it just makes more sense to let the broody momma do the raising and I can admire them from afar.
Caroline
So agree with you on this. The secret to taming the chicks is treats and time. But I'm content watching my chicks with their mommy instead of holding them a lot.

My soon to be broody silkie Topsy is still on the nest this morning
thumbsup.gif

She's still sitting on her 4 nonfertilized silkie eggs when I checked- but I also noticed a darker brown egg sticking out from under her chest. Apparently one of the Lavender Orpington eggs somehow managed to make its way under her. Not sure if someone laid on top of her or she moved it to the nest. If they laid on top of her she must have been VERY smooshed - those Orps are BIG girls.

Last night I had a dream that my eggs hatched... Then I woke up
th.gif
11 more days, hurry up!

I've heard of people replacing a broody's eggs with chicks before - Does your hen have to be broody to do this, or would a hen (in my case a silkie) take them in, even if she isn't broody?

Back
Top Bottom