Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by michaelinnc84, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Scooter&Suzie

Scooter&Suzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Pennsylvania

[​IMG]I can imagine a big orpington sitting right on a silkie laying an egg... I've seen my hens do that to my poor silkie, those silly things!

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia "I Believe" Premium Member

Just a warning, last year i had "big" Brahma hens sweetest things you could ever want, but one day i noticed one of my barred bantams was missing, I knew i had seen her earlier when i was handing out treats, well i went in to clean the coop and founds her smothered to death. I think what happened is one of ,my Brahmas I called big mama got into the same nesting box at the time covered cat littler boxes and my little bantam couldn't get out from under her she was smashed flat. Broke my heart. wasn't big mamas fault she just went in to lay an egg but my little bantam couldn't get out. Needless to say those boxes are not out right now. Just saying you wouldn't think something like that could happen but it did.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia "I Believe" Premium Member

They should be broody when doing this, because they would probably accept a basket of kittens then LOL.The waiting is torture.. [​IMG]

4. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Sounds more like a nightmare! Time will go quickly and soon you'll have your chicks :)

No idea if a Silkie will just adopt chicks without being broody - you could try it.

5. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    How awful for her. I do plan to move Topsy as she is definitely in the most favored nest box and yesterday the White Leghorn Snow White laid in there - so she's getting smooshed for sure. I don't know if the LO got in there with her - but it's such a tight spot that I wouldn't want them hurting poor little Topsy. Guess I just have to figure out where I want her. I had removed the wire from inside the coop - maybe I'll make a wire area again - just smaller this time.

6. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    [​IMG]Gloria's still on the nest this morning! So tonight I'll slip the newly hatched chicks under her. We still have only 4, the 5th one that has been zipped since yesterday morning is still breathing but hasn't progressed any overnight. I think 4-5 chicks would be a good number to start with.

7. Aumlet

Aumlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Carlsbad, Ca.
    How about videos? Mama is very tolerant of me. :)

Mama talks to a pipped chick:

Visiting time is over:

8. Fuffy

Fuffy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Jersey, GB
    Isnt that the most adorable thine EVER!!!! [​IMG]

9. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

Aww ..... just Awww.... I loved the last one especially. Visiting time is over.

deb

10. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    Good morning all, I have a question, if I put eggs under my girl in the evening 7:00pm, what day do I begin lockdown ? Not removing her from the nest to go potty? And what day do you think they will start hatching ? I really want to be here for her and the chicks. Can I take her out side once there born so she can go potty, or should. I leave her alone . The nest box with her and the eggs are in a large hutch, on my front porch. We have been taking her out side to poop and eat each day as she will not leave her newt to eat I the hutch other wise.we are hoping to move her with in the next 10 days when the new pen and larger coop is finished. My coop is to small for her to be in there, the nest box is way to high and the coop is big enough for 6 birds, I'm having the coop enlarged and the pen, but for now she is left to the hutch until its done. The nest boxes will be lowered way down in case she sits on more eggs later on.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by