Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by michaelinnc84, Feb 27, 2011.

1. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    we thought she would get hungry or thirsty, we watched through the window to see if she moved, nope and the dish was never touched. She refuses to eat from our hands either, nope not a drop. But just lift her out and she is all over the food lol she is so committed she s wonderful . She will be a good mama . But I'm going to fatten her up again before ever setting again, she went from fat and sassy, to very slim.

2. stonykill

stonykill Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    I do. I use the LG little giant. I built a plywood box around it to keep drafts down (keeping it ia a large cardboard box would probably do the same thing) and I use a small space heater to keep the temp constant in the room. I get pretty good hatches from it. Ducks and chickens. I'm actually going to pick up a 2nd one by tuesday to use as a hatcher. The incubator currently has eggs of different lockdown days in it.

The knowledge I have is from experience using them and broody's. All of the reading you can do helps, but the only real way to learn is to do it yourself.

I have hatched out 44 little ones so far this year from the little giant. And there are eggs in it again.

I would love to try other brands, but funds being what they are, I use what I have available reasonably. I do plan on making my own hatcher some time real soon. If time permits and I have what I need at home, tomorrow may be that day.

3. Tripp16

Tripp16 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    North Carolina
    Ok I think thats what Im getting. Its a still air though but I am ordering a fan to go in it to circulate the air. I may have to do what you have done. Does it get enough oxygen for the eggs or do the eggs not need that much? I have heard putting the incubator in a close boxed makes it overheat. How do you control this?

44? Wow! I bet you have chicks everywhere! [​IMG]

My friend is selling me two for a very good price. I cant wait! I have only hatched twice in a bator and it was a borrowed one.

4. stonykill

stonykill Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    I borrowed an LG with fan last year. Then bought my own still air. I did not add a fan kit. I always have planned to add a PC fan, but it never seems to be off long enough to add one.

Open top box. No lid on the box you put the bator in. I'll try to get pictures of my enclosure. The top of the box I built is about level with the top of the bator. I did not want to mess up air flow. I also use the auto turner.

I sold 10 Sumatra chicks, so I have 34 lil ones of my own. The hens will be for our egg laying crowd, with most of the roosters going to freezer camp.

The Sumatra eggs in the bator now are pre sold. As are most of the Fawn and white Indian runners eggs in there.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  5. Aumlet

Aumlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Carlsbad, Ca.
    I gave my broody the 3 one week old chicks I had in a brooder. I'm keeping an eye (well, more like an ear) on things but so far so good! [​IMG] I know that its best to it at night, but I noticed that the 3 new chicks had just started moving about and exploring, and it seemed like it would be a good time to slip in the older chicks. I'm glad its a little cool today, because at first two of the older chicks seemed confused, but under the broody is clearly the warmest place available to them right now. [​IMG] As long as the older chicks "get" that this is now their mama, I'm confident she'll gladly take them. If they don't bond to her, she may not be so nice .... It's been about 30 minutes though and its been good. Yay!

6. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Hope it works out :)

7. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Topsy was on the nest tonight at lock up. Yeah!

She did lay an egg today so she's still not officially broody right?
    Doesn't she have to stop laying to be truly broody?

She has five silkie and one lav orp egg under her.
    I decided not to rush back out in the pouring down rain to put the WL egg back under her.

Tomorrow I'll work on trying to find her a safe broody spot.

8. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

My broodies were the exact same way.. Neither EVER left the nest to eat/drink/poo. I had to do it manually. I've had one that would poop if I didn't move her in time.. I will never forget the smell.

9. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I'd wait one full day of no eggs laid by her before calling her officially broody :p

10. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    I've used a Hovabator still air and added a fan. It worked fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by