Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by michaelinnc84, Feb 27, 2011.

1. stonykill

stonykill Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    she is a beautiful mama. Sorry to hear about all of your troubles. Every ones flock dynamics are different. My roo's don't DARE bother a broody hen. I have 3 running around the yard now with chicks, and the roo's know better than to mess with mama! Next time you have a broody you will know what to do for your flock!

2. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Awh so cute - sorry about the other chick. I had my lead White Leghorn roo Foghorn pick up the day old Wellie and fling it. Thankfully the baby wasn't harmed.

3. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Looks like you guys are in for a bit of snow today? Hope those babies will hunker down under their mommas!

4. stonykill

stonykill Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    not what just heard on the news. Mama's bring their lil ones out in the snow. All 3 were out with their lil ones in the cold and rain yesterday from 7am to around 5 when they brought them in for the night. Broody chicks don't need the warmth we seem to think chicks need. I was just in the front yard. It is 43 degree's and "Mama" was warming up her chicks. Mama's daughter was out and about feeding hers as was the other broody Sumatra with chicks.

5. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Awwh. I love watching the broody teach the babies how to find food.

6. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    What is going on! Now I have a LO hanging out in the boxes too. I don't need 3 broodies.

7. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Poor you! LOL

Most I've had at once was two. I am lucky.. I have a lot of broody breeds :S

(Silkies, cochins, Orpington)

8. Weasleymum

Weasleymum Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2008
    Virginia
    Finally got a look in there, and there was one unhatched egg and one dead chick. I don't know if the dead chick was the one that got dropped and (possibly) pecked, or if it's the one that hatched late-- the egg that got left out in the rainstorm. Either way, I am sadly putting that into the 'lessons learned' category and chalking the loss up to my inexperience. At least Ms. Broody has 5 chicks to raise now! [​IMG]

9. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Awwhhh so adorable! Look at that proud momma.

10. Fuffy

Fuffy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 3, 2009
    Jersey, GB
    Bless! Neeeeeed some of those!!!!! [​IMG]

Mine still have another 10 days to go!

Hermione is sitting tight. Seems to have smashed 2 of the maran eggs, but the other 16 are all warm! Am going to candle if it ever warms up and dries out enough to get her off the nest for a minute!

I think she has been disturbed by crows and magpies trying to get her food and has broken an egg in the process. Pretty sure it was her that ate one of them as well. So she now has some nice netting over her puppy play pen to keep the wild birds out! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by