Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by michaelinnc84, Feb 27, 2011.

1. bobbieschicks

bobbieschicks Chicken Tender

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Looks like Smokey and the LO were just luxuriating in the nest boxes - they were both out and about when I checked on eggs & Topsy. So I gathered all loose eggs & the orp egg under Topsy that managed to get moved to Smokey's box.
    She's sitting on 5 of her own silkie eggs, but I doubt they were ever fertilized. The silkie roo has only been spotted attempting to mount the larger LO girls.

2. karlamaria

karlamaria Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    When the baby's hatch, do you pull out the shells from under the mommy hen? It's got to be uncomfortable for the birds and mama, or does she toss them out of her nest her self ?

3. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

Shells didnt last long with my flock. Wether she ate them or the other hens did I didnt see em for long.

deb

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

Sometimes I'll throw them on the ground usually the ducks and chickens make mincemeat out of them in no time. the ones I find.

5. Miss Lydia

I love your avatar Deb, what a beauty.

6. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    Topsy, Topsy why did you go broody! Now I HAVE to get some hatching eggs ;)

My biggest dilemma is do I try Wellies again with the hope of a pullet or move on to something else... Maran, more colored Orp, Wellies....so many choices!

7. bobbieschicks

Jun 24, 2011
    King George, VA
    My Coop
    I braved the weather and did the move - Topsy is now on her shavings & straw nest with 4 of her silkie eggs in the same place I put Smokey. I had to staple the wire back in place under the manure box and over the opening. She will have a 2' x 5' area in which to move around. I put her water and food in there. I plan to let her out once a day to poop if she will go. Otherwise I'll clean up her area when I clean the coop. I put a board behind the blue box and between her nest to give her more privacy from the others and I put a board over top of the blue box to help keep poop off her since it sometimes drops from above. She hasn't laid an egg yet today - and I doubt she will as I think she's moved to broody now. She didn't move when I picked her up and put her on the ground before placing her in the nest area. That is uncharacteristic - usually she would dart off.

She's really small - so how many bantam or LF eggs do you realistically think I could put under her as a 1st time momma? I would say she weighs about 2 lbs, if that. If she settles in and stays I think I will go ahead and order some eggs.

She was up eating when I went back to snap a pic.
    [​IMG]

She went to the nest while I was watching.
    [​IMG]

And settled back down.
    [​IMG]

8. Miss Lydia

Shes so pretty, at 2 lgs. I'd say at the most 3 LF and maybe 4-5 bantam.. Plus being first time mama they should have too many to care for.

9. aaggjg

aaggjg Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2011
    Ok so nugget was up this morning with the other girls .... I guess she is just thinking about going broody ... I think it took popcorn a week or so to figure out that is what she wanted to do. I hope Nugget will settle in as I just ordered some eggs..... no pressure there [​IMG] .

How do you all candle your eggs??? Do you wait until dark and candle at the coop???

10. stonykill

stonykill Overrun With Chickens

Sep 16, 2010
    Canaan Ny
    I can see her comfortably sitting on 6 bantam Sumatra eggs [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by