Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

Ok so nugget was up this morning with the other girls .... I guess she is just thinking about going broody ... I think it took popcorn a week or so to figure out that is what she wanted to do. I hope Nugget will settle in as I just ordered some eggs..... no pressure there
lau.gif

How do you all candle your eggs??? Do you wait until dark and candle at the coop???

I just candle at the nest during the day, while mama is up doing her daily business

Thanks. She is pretty.

Annoyingly she wasn't on the nest when I just checked on her and the eggs felt cold. But she did rush to the nest and cover them with herself as soon as I came around. So I think I'll hold off awhile before ordering anything. Just to see if she takes to the new location.

Thanks. She is pretty.

Annoyingly she wasn't on the nest when I just checked on her and the eggs felt cold. But she did rush to the nest and cover them with herself as soon as I came around. So I think I'll hold off awhile before ordering anything. Just to see if she takes to the new location.

sounds like she is almost ready

I'm itching to order eggs for Topsy - the hard part will be finding a smaller quantity. I really got excited when I thought my LO might be going broody - I pictured a good dozen under her. LOL.
I candle in the evening before lock up - it's dark enough and I use a high power flashlight. I candle on Day 3 or 5 and then right before "lockdown" which is around Day 17 for the broody. I only toss definite clears and stinkers.

Ok so nugget was up this morning with the other girls .... I guess she is just thinking about going broody ... I think it took popcorn a week or so to figure out that is what she wanted to do. I hope Nugget will settle in as I just ordered some eggs..... no pressure there
lau.gif

How do you all candle your eggs??? Do you wait until dark and candle at the coop???

I just candle at the nest during the day, while mama is up doing her daily business

My hen (first timer) is NOT MOVING ...... I try to push her and she sits firmly in place! For a wee little cochin she sure knows how to use her weight effectively!!!

Quote:
My hen (first timer) is NOT MOVING ...... I try to push her and she sits firmly in place! For a wee little cochin she sure knows how to use her weight effectively!!!
I wish I could say the same. But Topsy appears to have abandoned her nest. :( she has let the eggs get cold and is sitting off to the side in her coop. I'm not sure if I should leave her alone to see if she sits more or move her back into the main coop tonight.

I wish I could say the same. But Topsy appears to have abandoned her nest.
sad.png
she has let the eggs get cold and is sitting off to the side in her coop. I'm not sure if I should leave her alone to see if she sits more or move her back into the main coop tonight.

I'd leave her till tomorrow, the eggs can get cold and still hatch. I've had it happen and I'm sure others have..

Back
Top Bottom