Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

My broodies were the exact same way.. Neither EVER left the nest to eat/drink/poo. I had to do it manually. I've had one that would poop if I didn't move her in time.. I will never forget the smell.

Yes. I learned this lesson the hard - er, smelly - way too. My broody was not getting up to eat or drink (I could tell by the level of the food) so I started bringing her food but not making her go far from the nest. Bad idea. This is why we have chicks that are a week apart in age. She had somehow rolled the eggs in the poop. They were completely covered. I ended up washing the ones I knew were developing and putting them in a newly purchased incubator. Got mama some new eggs and took her off the next every morning. I'd take her about 8 feet from the nest and a light bulb would go on: Eat, Drink, Poop, Dustbath! Back to the eggs in 5 minutes. After two weeks of this she got the idea and started taking herself off the nest once a day to go about her business.

It looks like my other bantam cochin is following in her sisters footsteps and starting to go broody.... She started laying about a week after the one that is currently broody. She isn't fully committed yet .... once I pushed her off and stole the eggs this morning she got up and went to eat and hang out with the other girls and didn't return to the coop.... So I think she'll be full on broody in a week??? hopefully just as my shipped eggs get here!!!
celebrate.gif
I was worried about what to do with the extras but now with 2 broody bantams a dozen is perfect!!!

Slipped 3 of the 5 chicks under Gloria just now. The first one went smoothly, and I snagged 2 of the 3 eggs she was sitting on as I snuck the first chick under her. I guess she didn't like that, because she struck at me, hard, when I went to put the second chick under her. Thankfully, it was dark and she missed! I decided she could have the third egg until tomorrow and slipped the third chick under her on the other side. Everyone cross your fingers for me that she accepts these chicks! If she hits them like she tried to hit me tonight there's no way they'll survive!

There's still two more chicks in the incubator that I'd like to put under her tomorrow night. One was the last one and it was shrink-wrapped so I had to help it hatch. Poor little thing's neck is bent funny because it spent at least 12 hours before hatching with the skin on it's chin stuck to the skin on it's chest. I think it'll be ok, but I wanted to let it dry off completely and gain a little more strength before putting it in with Gloria. The other chick we left in so quasimodo-chick wouldn't be too lonely and make too much noise until tomorrow night.

Last edited:
Smokey never seemed to leave her nest either. I put her on the ground every day at least once to eat, drink & poop because I didn't think she was moving. I'm still not convinced she did move voluntarily. However, I do know that she ate and drank because the food dish was disturbed and she was the only one in that area. So even if it doesn't look like she moves, she moves. But if it eases your mind go ahead and move her each day. That's what I did and I'm sure Smokey was fine with it.

My broodies were the exact same way.. Neither EVER left the nest to eat/drink/poo. I had to do it manually. I've had one that would poop if I didn't move her in time.. I will never forget the smell.
the first time I took her out, it had been three days, I picked her up as she looked like she was thirsty, and she just had not touched or bite of food, I picked her up and she pooped all down my side. Omg I about passed out from the smell, Neeldless to say I was full of crap all over me! Poor girl was full lol, so lesson learned, I take her out every afternoon! She poops, eats and drinks and is back on the nest with in five minutes. When I take her back to the nest, she looks at me like , I feel better now go away. She is so sweet she does not get mad at me, but we leave her totally alone so she has peace. 4/5 more days, we shall see how she did the first time brooding eggs. Hope they were all fertile!

Last edited:
Quote:
Yes. I learned this lesson the hard - er, smelly - way too. My broody was not getting up to eat or drink (I could tell by the level of the food) so I started bringing her food but not making her go far from the nest. Bad idea. This is why we have chicks that are a week apart in age. She had somehow rolled the eggs in the poop. They were completely covered. I ended up washing the ones I knew were developing and putting them in a newly purchased incubator. Got mama some new eggs and took her off the next every morning. I'd take her about 8 feet from the nest and a light bulb would go on: Eat, Drink, Poop, Dustbath! Back to the eggs in 5 minutes. After two weeks of this she got the idea and started taking herself off the nest once a day to go about her business.
. So I'm not the only one lol, that smell is terrible lol. Glad there is some others who know what it's like to have a hen who does not leave the nest . I also take her about 8/10 feet away from her nest .kids pick up the poop when they scoop dog poo every morning.

Checked on the chicks this morning. So far it seems to be going ok. Gloria's hunkered down on the nest, but it's chilly this morning so I'm hoping that's a good sign. She did let me take the last egg out from under her this morning, so hopefully when it warms up enough she'll take the chicks off and show them where the food is. Quasimodo chick looks good this morning too. So unless Gloria decides to reject the chicks over the course of the day I'll be slipping the last two chicks under her tonight.

Topsy is in the nest box still this morning - so if no new egg today I can call her officially broody. Right next door to her is Smokey! Smokey didn't lay yesterday and I wonder if she's contemplating being a momma again too. Oh well, maybe that would be a good thing. Having broody hens is so wonderful - BUT they are taking up 2 out of my 3 nest boxes. Got to move Topsy today so the others will have a place to lay. Guess I'll rewire the other coop end again as that worked best for Smokey.

That's great! Hope she adopts them :)

Checked on the chicks this morning. So far it seems to be going ok. Gloria's hunkered down on the nest, but it's chilly this morning so I'm hoping that's a good sign. She did let me take the last egg out from under her this morning, so hopefully when it warms up enough she'll take the chicks off and show them where the food is. Quasimodo chick looks good this morning too. So unless Gloria decides to reject the chicks over the course of the day I'll be slipping the last two chicks under her tonight.

That's great that your kids will pick up the poop - mine yelled "eeewwwwhhhh!" when they smelled Smokey's broody poop - although I can't say I blame them - it was pretty nasty. LOL!

. So I'm not the only one lol, that smell is terrible lol. Glad there is some others who know what it's like to have a hen who does not leave the nest . I also take her about 8/10 feet away from her nest .kids pick up the poop when they scoop dog poo every morning.

Back in March one of my EE pullets went broody. As I posted 3/28, I placed 10 locally obtained fertile eggs under her. Well, I learned a lot from this first experience. I wasn't ready to introduce my Marans pullets to the flock so I couldn't isolate her. Mistake! Others laid in her nest even with her in it! By last week all but one were broken and gone. The lone remaining egg failed to hatch and I removed it 4/22 which was day 25.

So, I got day olds (2 BL and 2 BO) and put them under her Saturday night. Still not isolated; pullets were fascinated but no problem. My SS cockerel not so much. He killed 1 BL chick. Also attacked my BIL and then jumped me this weekend. His reservation at freezer camp is for my next day off

Here is part of the new family (now safely set up in my attached brood pen.
099914a3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom