Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

Violet now has 2 happy little fluff balls under her! The 3rd egg was a quitter, so I'll be getting a few chicks to stick under her tonight. She's still wanting to sit of the nest, but she has a couple days before she has to start teaching them. How does she know they need to eat and drink? Do they start chirping?

Anywho, here are the babies!

Soo cute!

Here are the pictures, these were taken earlier this morning. She has 7 instead of 4 now. She is a very good momma but worn out having 7 kids scurrying underneath her. :lol:  Dont mind Henriettas head. If you guys remember she was attacked by the rooster a few weeks back. Now she gets her rewad! :)

^^ Those are the first 3 then the top picture was the 4th on then came the 7! 

Adorable!

Here are the pictures, these were taken earlier this morning. She has 7 instead of 4 now. She is a very good momma but worn out having 7 kids scurrying underneath her.
lol.png
Dont mind Henriettas head. If you guys remember she was attacked by the rooster a few weeks back. Now she gets her rewad!
smile.png

^^ Those are the first 3 then the top picture was the 4th on then came the 7!
Congrats Tripp so precious

Everyones new chicks are so adorable!! I have 4 - almost 3 week old chicks. I have a question. My mama seems to be losing ALOT of feathers, do new mamas molt after they have hatched chicks successfully?

Everyones new chicks are so adorable!! I have 4 - almost 3 week old chicks. I have a question. My mama seems to be losing ALOT of feathers, do new mamas molt after they have hatched chicks successfully?
Some of mine have gone into molt after brooding. Last year when my game hen hatched hers she lost all her tail feathers boy was that a sight. lol

Such good looking chicks!! They are all so cute. I'm hoping my Silky will go broody soon. She turned a yr old on the 12th of this month. I've a Showgirl male with her right now and are giving them a month before I start collecting her eggs.

Jumping in here, my broody was sitting on eggs that were all duds, at day 15, (old rooster) - I went to a hatchery and brought home 8 - 1day old chicks to fool her. She was not fooled- I'd put only 2 under her at night and she'd killed them both by morning.

She immediately broke broody and she's laying again. Wasn't fooled at all.

Lesson learned- don't try to fool a broody hen. They're smarter than you think.

Jumping in here, my broody was sitting on eggs that were all duds, at day 15, (old rooster) - I went to a hatchery and brought home 8 - 1day old chicks to fool her. She was not fooled- I'd put only 2 under her at night and she'd killed them both by morning.

She immediately broke broody and she's laying again. Wasn't fooled at all.

Lesson learned- don't try to fool a broody hen. They're smarter than you think.
luckily you only put 2 under her. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Last night I went out and transferred Momma and 7, 1month old chicks to the main coop. Went out at daybreak and opened every thing up. It went really well. No altercations whatever. Rooster only concerned with.....copulation and hens getting food. Nobody overly interested. YaY!

Back
Top Bottom