Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

Well, roosters sure can be pretty to look at as for me, I just tagged another one out. Actually without a roo around a dominent hen will take on the lookout position to protect the flock, so if barnyard harmony is important to you....unfortunately my chickens have too much game bird in them to be kept together, outside the loser has to be able to run away....now I sure am looking forward to about thirty chicks coming into their own, and it's not even summer yet!!! I just wish the predators would take the roos and leave me my beautiful hens. Just yesterday one of my girls came running to me with said roo hanging on her neck...he got snap kicked like a football. Poor dumb roos...stupidity equals stew.

Well it's official all the chicken eggs are duds, most didn't make it past week two, one pipped but didn't hatch and the rest were eaten or broken :(.

I have three duck eggs which appear to still be alive and are due in two days. I feel so bad for my girls, one has adopted my banties chicks during the night, but not during the day. She's still sitting on wooden eggs and the other sitting on duck eggs. I've tried to locate some day old chicks, but haven't found any yet and ordering from a hatchery is out of my price range right now :(

can you slip a duck egg under each broody?

Congrats on the broody! Keep us posted :)
I have just put 14 eggs under my broody Barnevelder. She has been sitting on her nest since Sunday, and I have been collecting/soliciting eggs for her since then. She hatched out 4 chicks last spring, and I am hoping that she will be as good a Mama this time as she was then. I didn't see this thread last year, so am glad that I have found it now. Good to see the experiences that others have had. I don't have an incubator, so my only experience with hatching chicks is what she and I dealt with last year - first time for both of us. None of my other Girls have shown any inclination to go broody - even the Buff Orpington, and I understand that they are often inclined that way. Still, half of the eggs under her now are either BO or BO/mix, so I may have more broodies next year. But ... don't count your broodies before they are hatched! LOL

Hey Welcome JoshU
welcome-byc.gif

I have nine roosters out of a total of 24 chickens. I have many reasons for having them. They are charming and quite the rascals. Three I would consider rescues. Rehomed beloved and not needing to go in the stewpot. The four Wellsummer roos I have are there for back up. for my flock of 14 Wellie pullets. (wellies are all under 3 months old). One is a very well bred Arucana (sp?) the rumpless variety and his very own hen. They are going into their own private pen when I get i built.

Roosters provide flock protection and will sacrifice themselves for a broody or for the whole flock if need be. The area I have my poultry in is very biodiverse; Bobcat mountain lion coyote hawk owl Ravens racoons and on down the food chain. I need roosters to help me replenish my flock when predators take one or two. (one year I lost thirty in thirty days to a bobcat) I have added in early warning detectors (Guinea fowl) into the mix and they help immensely. Believe it or not so do Wild Turkeys.

I think when people have problems with a roo its due to the fact that space is limited and there are no other roos to spar with to let off steam. My plan (because I have a young flock) is to keep the roos that are not actively in a breeding program in a bachelor flock. There they will have a social heiarchy without overusing the hens.

BTW I have no objections to doing freezer camp for any individuals that are stepping outside the bounds of normal chicken behavior.

deb
I like your take on the roos Deb, I feel the same way, our extras go to freezer camp and so far the 2 we keep are very good boys, to us and 2 their girls.

I have just put 14 eggs under my broody Barnevelder. She has been sitting on her nest since Sunday, and I have been collecting/soliciting eggs for her since then. She hatched out 4 chicks last spring, and I am hoping that she will be as good a Mama this time as she was then. I didn't see this thread last year, so am glad that I have found it now. Good to see the experiences that others have had. I don't have an incubator, so my only experience with hatching chicks is what she and I dealt with last year - first time for both of us. None of my other Girls have shown any inclination to go broody - even the Buff Orpington, and I understand that they are often inclined that way. Still, half of the eggs under her now are either BO or BO/mix, so I may have more broodies next year. But ... don't count your broodies before they are hatched! LOL
All the best and let us know when they hatch with pics of course.

Quote: For those who are in this situation and happy to have the excuse to buy more chicks, just ignore the following.

But the rest of y'all know that a broody hen can manage to get over losing her eggs and/or chicks. If it's early in the set you can give them more fertile eggs, or later if the hen seems in excellent health and you reallyreallyreally need her to hatch the eggs you have. Otherwise, you can remove/block her nest and put her back with her flock, perhaps serve a bowl of everyone's favorite treat as a distraction. The hen may bluck-bluck-bluck about for a day but should soon return to her regularly scheduled programming.

Putting new chicks under a bereaved broody doesn't always take, you need to have a Plan B to brood them if she doesn't want them.

Back
Top Bottom