Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

I'm keeping them 2 mamas and chicks apart for a while. I think baby will be okay, I am so thankful I was out there when it happened so I was able to get to them before she really got a hold of it, she has a very small wound on her back where her wings are attached. I sprayed some Veterycin on her and she scooted right back under mama. Now I have 2 more hens due to hatch this next week I sure hope things have settled down by then. One of the hens is lowest on pecking order so no telling what will come of this. Hopefully nothing
fl.gif
well lets hope so.
fl.gif

My mama and 5 chicks are in a separate area but where the older hens can see them. How long do I wait before I open the gate between them again? The hens already snatched one baby and I think killed another. Mama has not even attempted to bring them outside the coop yet. I want to integrate them as smoothly as possible.

Add us to the "new momma" club!

14mo Black Java hen, Tiger, one of 5 hens in our small flock of Black Java's showed signs of being broody a few weeks back. But she didn't stick with it then. Now, a few weeks later - and she's sticking with it. She's got 5 BJ eggs under her at this time. I'm hoping no one else lays additional eggs (we marked 'em with a blue oil pastel - might last a while), as of course, she picked the favorite nesting box.

I'm not going to move her at this time. I can move the rest of the flock when it gets closer to the hatch date (have 2 runs and 2 coops). Although, I might have a problem as I'll need to move out the Black Java 3wk old chicks I purchased from Garfield Farms to somewhere about the same time as the hatch date.....hmmmm....need to consider my options there.

Excited, anticipatory, watchful and hoping Tiger can do a good job. She's low on the pecking order, so I'm worried for her. No broody poop yet - so I'm concerned she's not eating at all. Tomorrow I'll take out some mealworms for her or some warm oatmeal (it's cold here tonight - low 40's!). I have seen her off the nest to get a drink - but still, that was yesterday!

I started the current broodies at a week because they have silky chicks. The only tussles we've had have been between the two broodies - haha.

But last time I opened the door for Smokey at day 2 - a bunch of the pullets came over to investigate and the lead cockerel jumped up in the area - picked up one of the chicks and flung it. Smokey went crazy and I kicked him out - closed everything up and left them in there another couple of days. The other cockerel kept trying to attack Smokey when I finally let her out - I thought he was going to hurt her, but it turns out she's a pretty fierce broody.

Just be prepared to intervene if blood is drawn - otherwise let them hash it out. :)

My mama and 5 chicks are in a separate area but where the older hens can see them. How long do I wait before I open the gate between them again? The hens already snatched one baby and I think killed another. Mama has not even attempted to bring them outside the coop yet. I want to integrate them as smoothly as possible.

Yeah - welcome!

You don't have to move broodies, I moved my broodies all three times (Smokey twice and Topsy once) - because I only have 3 boxes and they were getting trampled and eggs left unattended when they were confused over which nest to return to after breaks. So I setup an area in my coop, wired off, so they were still with the flock but not accessible. I tried to take them off the nest once a day to poo, drink and eat - that gave me a chance to make sure their eggs were fine and clean up any poo in the nest or off the eggs. I had poo on eggs this past time when I didn't remove Topsy for 4 days. If you feed her be prepared to clean up the poo from under her - unless you take her down for a bathroom break - then be prepared to smell the worst stink EVER. :)

Add us to the "new momma" club!

14mo Black Java hen, Tiger, one of 5 hens in our small flock of Black Java's showed signs of being broody a few weeks back. But she didn't stick with it then. Now, a few weeks later - and she's sticking with it. She's got 5 BJ eggs under her at this time. I'm hoping no one else lays additional eggs (we marked 'em with a blue oil pastel - might last a while), as of course, she picked the favorite nesting box.

I'm not going to move her at this time. I can move the rest of the flock when it gets closer to the hatch date (have 2 runs and 2 coops). Although, I might have a problem as I'll need to move out the Black Java 3wk old chicks I purchased from Garfield Farms to somewhere about the same time as the hatch date.....hmmmm....need to consider my options there.

Excited, anticipatory, watchful and hoping Tiger can do a good job. She's low on the pecking order, so I'm worried for her. No broody poop yet - so I'm concerned she's not eating at all. Tomorrow I'll take out some mealworms for her or some warm oatmeal (it's cold here tonight - low 40's!). I have seen her off the nest to get a drink - but still, that was yesterday!

Here are another couple of photos now the chicks are off the nest. Luckily the hens have decided that they are going to share their chicks with each other and they sit down and let all the chicks gather under them. One of them is currently walking about the garden with 2 chicks (first timer) whilst my well trialled broody is sat in the coop with 14 under her. So glad they get along. Sounds horrible having them going at each others chicks. They'll meet the roo in a couple of weeks. However he is great with chicks. I've even caught him in the nest box sitting on eggs. I think he is trying to encourage the others to go broody and it seems to be working
tongue.png
. He does his job of populating the run far too well.

Thanks again for all your help.

I have a first time broody Isa Brown. We do not have a rooster but a friend down the road does so she brought me 13 eggs on May 20. I candeled the eggs on day 9 and found 2 bad ones, so 11 good ones! Even got to see a few move around. I am checking again on day 14 to make sure all are progressing and then keeping my fingers crossed! I have never done this before and I was not expecting to either, I have 10 Isa Browns and I heard they almost never go broody! I was not sure she was broody the first week and then we had a mishap durning the second week so I had my friend bring me the 13 eggs and started over. Sure hope she stays on them til the end, I dont have an incubator. Funny how I didnt want chicks and now that they are coming I am so excited! Hatch date should be June 10th.

I have a first time broody Isa Brown. We do not have a rooster but a friend down the road does so she brought me 13 eggs on May 20. I candeled the eggs on day 9 and found 2 bad ones, so 11 good ones!  Even got to see a few move around.  I am checking again on day 14 to make sure all are progressing and then keeping my fingers crossed!  I have never done this before and I was not expecting to either, I have 10 Isa Browns and I heard they almost never go broody!  I was not sure she was broody the first week and then we had a mishap durning the second week so I had my friend bring me the 13 eggs and started over.  Sure hope she stays on them til the end, I dont have an incubator. Funny how I didnt want chicks and now that they are coming I am so excited! Hatch date should be June 10th.

That's how it usually goes :) congrats on the broody and hopefully chicks!

Thanks Bobbieschicks, its really rediculious how excited I am. I am driving my family crazy telling them every step what to expect! The kids did like the candeling though and they helped by seeing what my bad eyes couldnt see!

Back
Top Bottom