Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

I had also the question about them going broody again once. I decided to write down the dates so that if they can have eggs when they decide to sit of them. For the first hen was like a clock, but the second one it was just contagious. (I have not kept my journal :(. )

Stoneykill every time I see the ducks on your avitar I want some...I had a dream last night I rented a bull dozer and made a pond where a spring flows over the hill...when I woke up I realized that is where the septic files is...I need to find a different spot.S
lol. As I've said many times, don't tell my chickens but I think i prefer my ducks.

Well it's day 12 and I went out this morning and all the eggs were GONE without a trace.
Up in the top shelf all curled up was a 5 ft black rat snake. He went for a 3 mile ride to the park immediately. My wife wanted me to say "off with his head!" but that's not how I roll...lol.

Henrietta is still still sitting on the empty net box.

Do I give her more eggs or will this "broody" phase pass after she hasn't had eggs for awhile?

Thanks,

Ed

Well it's day 12 and I went out this morning and all the eggs were GONE without a trace.
Up in the top shelf all curled up was a 5 ft black rat snake. He went for a 3 mile ride to the park immediately. My wife wanted me to say "off with his head!" but that's not how I roll...lol.

Henrietta is still still sitting on the empty net box.

Do I give her more eggs or will this "broody" phase pass after she hasn't had eggs for awhile?

Thanks,

Ed
If it were me I'd give her something to sit on immediately. Fertile or not. Then give her more fertile eggs. It will pass on it's own, eventually. Some break easy, others take what seems like forever

The hen rejected the hatching eggs and I found one successful hatchling outside the nest (thank goodness it wasn't cold since it is 104 here) and the other shrink-wrapped inside the egg. I gave the hatchling to the turkey and intervened with the shrink-wrapped chick. We will see if they are alive in the morning. Funny how my turkeys NEVER sit on turkey eggs, only chicken eggs.

Oh, and I was raised in Western NC, Macon County.
Hows everyone this morning? Macon isn't too far from Yancey co.

Well here is Miss Lydia My Game hen and her 2 cochin bantams, the purplefeet are from her cutting her feet on some rocks is all I can figure out, she is getting soaks of epson salt and iodine solution and last night I sprayed Blue-Kote on her feet and all over my hands.
sad.png
I really need to get some gloves.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom