Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

Hello everyone! Well, this is one thread I didn't think I would need, but all of a sudden I have a broody! Little sneek (also known as Summer, the bantam brahma) had eight eggs in a corner of the coop. They had never been awesome layers so i didnt even notice the egg lag. She looked so miserable when DH went to take her eggs that he actually suggested getting some fertile hatching eggs! :lol: I hadn't even mentioned the possibility until he started feeling sorry for her; figured he would have put his foot down. Now I have Belgain Quail D'Anver hatching eggs shipping out tomorrow. :D

Any tips from those of you with experience would be appreciated! This is my first ever broodies first brood! And it looks like her sister may start too!

I am hoping my Salmon Fav will go broody one of these days! Although I can't complain because my other 2 broody mama's just hatched out 12 new guinea keets!!!
My Salmon Faverolle is broody again! Her first batch of babies hatched April 14. She must love being a Mamma! Babies are due right around July 17.

Hello everyone! Well, this is one thread I didn't think I would need, but all of a sudden I have a broody! Little sneek (also known as Summer, the bantam brahma) had eight eggs in a corner of the coop. They had never been awesome layers so i didnt even notice the egg lag. She looked so miserable when DH went to take her eggs that he actually suggested getting some fertile hatching eggs!
lol.png
I hadn't even mentioned the possibility until he started feeling sorry for her; figured he would have put his foot down. Now I have Belgain Quail D'Anver hatching eggs shipping out tomorrow.
big_smile.png

Any tips from those of you with experience would be appreciated! This is my first ever broodies first brood! And it looks like her sister may start too!

Welcome aboard the Broody Train..... LOL. My broodies were years ago. My next broodies are still too young to lay eggs yet.....
deb

I just heard a bunch of peeping at the broody shed. Mama had her TEN lil ones off the nest momentarily. 10!!!!!!!!!!
big_smile.png
celebrate.gif
wee.gif
Mama is a Professional she can handle it
bow.gif

Correction Mama has ELEVEN yes 11 fuzzy butts!!!!!!!

As soon as she saw me with the camera she took the 11 lil ones to hiding. The best pic I could get so far. tommorrow she will be more cooperative I'm sure. Here are 1/2 dozen or so of them with the proud Mama

I've got nothing but DRAMA at my place. The turkey adopted the three abandoned chicks that the BA hen didn't want. This morning one of the remaining four eggs under the BA girl was hatched and another is unzipping, but they are cold and she is over harassing the turkey trying to steal those babies back! I took the chick, the hatching egg, and the two unhatched eggs and stuck them under the turkey. I am just convinced the BA girl is a BAD mom.

The dom. that hatched four chicks almost two weeks ago was trying to break out of the mamma coop to take her babies outside so I let her. She beat up every hen, rooster, and tom turkey that got near her except the head rooster. He is walking around the outside of the fence line running the chicks back in to their mom when they escape.

I have another dom girl that is broody on a mixed clutch of eggs. I don't even remember how long she has been on the nest. This pregnancy has been rough and most of the chicken care has been left to my 10 year-old son. He can't remember how long she has been sitting either. I bet they will hatch while I am gone taking care of my grandmother next week!

Back
Top Bottom