Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

The video is a little small (taken with my phone) but here's princess the broody araucana with her babies and a watermelon. :p
love.gif

Ok, I swapped the eggs from under Summer. I had to kick her out of the coop anyway; my rule is she must get out and get some sunshine at least every three days. Figured I would swap the eggs while I was at it.
Cross your fingers she stays broody! She has already been setting for twelve days.

That's what I've done with my three times of having broodies. It's worked just fine. I'm sure it will be okay.

Quote: You know I will learn to process and butcher eventually it will be a necessity. I have no problems with people that do. Matter of fact that comment about people giving grief over predators getting the chickens really hit home to me.

I got snide comments from family and friends when I got some new hens to replace ones that coyotes got. ""So you are going to kill some more"" It squashed me soo much to think I was responsible that I stopped raising chickens for about five years. Till I came to my senses and thought to myself "Bleep em if they cant take a joke" so now I am raising them up in double fortress of a coop after huge losses last year.... The lesson of secure coops driven home...

Now my Wellies are laying and I am loving it. I cant wait to get a broody so I can truely participate in this group..... Sigh.

OK I have one more Wellie laying..... Gawd my life is sooo bizar..... I thought I would be spending these days reflecting on the Rocket ships I had designed or the novel I had wrote or the art i had created..... What makes me happiest is a teeny little speckled egg....
th.gif

deb "loving the simple life"
celebrate.gif

You know I will learn to process and butcher eventually it will be a necessity.  I have no problems with people that do.  Matter of fact that comment about people giving grief over predators getting the chickens really hit home to me. 

I got snide comments from family and friends when I got some new hens to replace ones that coyotes got.  ""So you are going to kill some more""  It squashed me soo much to think I was responsible that I stopped raising chickens for about five years. Till I came to my senses and thought to myself "Bleep em if they cant take a joke"  so now I am raising them up in double fortress of a coop after huge losses last year....  The lesson of secure coops driven home...

Now my Wellies are laying and I am loving it.  I cant wait to get a broody so I can truely participate in this group..... Sigh.

OK I have one more Wellie laying..... Gawd my life is sooo bizar.....   I thought I would be spending these days reflecting on the Rocket ships I had designed or the novel I had wrote or the art i had created.....  What makes me happiest is a teeny little speckled egg....  :th

deb "loving the simple life"  :celebrate

Okay I'm jealous! What pretty eggs!

I wanted some Wellie layers, but ended up with two cockerels. They are beautiful birds. I gave one away to a friend who needed a rooster for his flock and I still have Willie the Wellie.

Hoping to get my dark eggs with these Blue Splash Maran eggs the broodies will hopefully hatch.

Back
Top Bottom