Old Fashioned Broody Hen Hatch A Long and Informational Thread

The hen that abandoned her babies waited until they were in the sleeping tree (she has never taken them in the coop) and then got up in it with them. I wonder if she had been watching them all along seeing if they are going to be ok. I am sure they will be fine, with this being my first broody hatch I didn't know that she would kick them to the curb so soon. I figured at least another week.

My turkey hen raising the chicks has never roosted with her babies because the trees that will hold her they can't get up in. This is worrisome to me!

The 5 chicks are now fully integrated with the grown ups at 8 weeks. My concern is about food. I have a feeder with grower and a feeder with layer. How do they do with that? Will it hurt the babes to eat the layer?

Sleeping tree? Ut oh. My broody did that before. She started laying in the old coop and i guess she didn't want them in there, so she took them into a nice thick apple tree..then after a week she went to the coop. Pulled the old switcheroo. We had just finished the new coop and Moe was the only one who would let me catch her that evening..so she was OK when the owl snatched one out of the tree.. The rest came screaming down the hill to me and then they let me catch them! Every night then they were first in the new coop after that...no argument.

The 5 chicks are now fully integrated with the grown ups at 8 weeks. My concern is about food. I have a feeder with grower and a feeder with layer. How do they do with that? Will it hurt the babes to eat the layer?

I think it's best to just feed everyone grower, and put the calcium supplements on the side. That way they only eat what calcium they want, and even so they eat very little of it. I've heard it said so many times layer isn't good for chicks, so this way everybody eats and there's no worry. A little won't hurt but it's not recommended.

My babies won't eat the layer feed - at least not enough to hurt them. I put bowls of chick feed down for the littles to eat and of course everyone gourges themselves on it. LOL. But the hanging feeder has layer feed in it and is raised enough off the floor that the tinest chicks can't reach it - the bigger ones could and I've noticed them looking into it and pecking occassionally, but they generally stay out of it.

You can put out a grower feed that's nonmedicated for everyone to eat - and then make sure to put out oyster shells or egg shells for the layers to supplement. The babies may pick at that sometimes, but they won't consume it like the layers will.

My chicks were 3 weeks old on thursday, they are eating with the flock now and i put food in 5 stations, and a few piles on the floor (there is alot of fighting and bullying), i also put about 3 piles of chick crumb out in different parts of the feeding area as they follow their mother who goes around the place alot. The chicks are eating mostly mixed corn and hardly any chick crumb, is this ok? Will it make them runts when they are older with not getting the right nutrition?, they have access to free range in the feild at ALL times.

I think the bugs are more nutritious anyway. I noticed a big decline in bugs after the drought we had and no body missed an opportunity to eat when called. After the rain started they are happier out hunting now. Corn isn't that nutritious anyway, it is high energy though and works for sustinence. As long as they can forage too they get a well rounded diet, complete with vitamins and minerals...what could be better?

I think the bugs are more nutritious anyway. I noticed a big decline in bugs after the drought we had and no body missed an opportunity to eat when called. After the rain started they are happier out hunting now. Corn isn't that nutritious anyway, it is high energy though and works for sustinence. As long as they can forage too they get a well rounded diet, complete with vitamins and minerals...what could be better?
thumbsup.gif
you got it!

The place I got my Sumatra's from simply fed all of them cracked corn. From broody newborns to adults. The balance of their nutrition came from free ranging. Everyone was healthy, happy and all of the hens going broody and raising young.

What if they do the same when put on growers pellets?, will that effect there size? also is it ok for laying chickens to eat growers pellets?

I think it's best to just feed everyone grower, and put the calcium supplements on the side. That way they only eat what calcium they want, and even so they eat very little of it. I've heard it said so many times layer isn't good for chicks, so this way everybody eats and there's no worry. A little won't hurt but it's not recommended.
ya if roosters and hens that are not laying it can lead to kidney failure .. so im friend told me to feed them grower crumble and give the hens the shells so if they need it

Back
Top Bottom